Chapter 10

Christina

He wrapped his arms around my back, got over his shock, and rubbed it gently. Samuel's body was hard and smelled good, but he didn't smell like pine and cedarwood.

Realizing my mistake, I tried to pull away from the hug, but Samuel didn't loosen his hold around me. I looked up at him and found him leaning over my face. He was close, so close that I could feel his hot breath on my face.

"S... Sam," I stammered, noticing the storm of emotions in his eyes.

I knew he liked me, but I never thought of him more than a friend. I couldn't let that happen. I couldn't lose a good friend because I wanted to feel safe in someone's arms. If I crossed the line with Sam, there would be no going back. Even though he was a good guy, he was not the one for me.

"Tina... I... I...," Samuel hesitated before he could push those words out of his mouth and change our relationship forever.

I placed a palm on his mouth, signaling him not to say anything further. He leaned and rested his forehead on mine, breathing hard, but didn't say anything further, and I was grateful to him for that.

Someone cleared their throat behind us, and we pulled apart, embarrassed. My heart sank when I noticed Logan standing in the doorway. His eyes were blood-red from anger, and his hands fisted at his sides.

Oh My God.

Before he could say or do something, I darted past him and out of the pantry until I was in my cubicle. I could imagine what the scene might look like to Logan.

He would think all those rumors about me were true and hate me even more. My body shook, and I slumped on the chair, leaning against its back and closing my eyes.

"You okay?"

I opened my eyes at Samuel's voice, who stood at the opening of the cubicle and stared at me in concern.

"Yeah, I am good," I lied.

"I am sorry about that," he stepped inside and said in an apologizing tone.

The cubicle was empty except for us, and I was grateful. I didn't want anyone else to know what just happened.

"It's okay. I was feeling too emotional because of Mom," I replied to him with a sad smile, "I needed that power hug to get through the day."

He smiled at my reply, "You can get a power hug from me whenever you want."

"Thanks, Sam, you are my best friend," I friend-zoned him again. It was all that I had been doing since I met him.

There was no place for a man in my life. I had Mom and Aiden to look after, and I knew I couldn't give any relationship the time or effort required.

I got busy with my work. Logan was even more furious than ever the rest of the day. He made me make his coffee thrice and threw it every time, deeming it disgusting. Then he humiliated me by calling me incompetent and useless until I was on the verge of crying again in the in-house meeting.

He got a new target to harass apart from me: Samuel. He was subtle enough not to let anyone feel his animosity toward Samuel. But I knew he was doing it because of the incident in the pantry.

When the official time was over, I couldn't be more relieved and rushed to the hospital. Pol was there along with Aiden. He wanted to see his Gran and wouldn't stop pestering Pol until she brought him to the hospital for a visit.

Mom looked better than last night, and I apologized for leaving her alone. To which she said that she was well cared for by the hospital staff and I didn't need to feel guilty about it.

"I am hungry," Aiden announced while we sat with Mom. They shifted her to a private room in the afternoon.

"We can get you something to eat from the cafeteria," I told him and stood up.

"No, I don't want anything from the cafeteria. It tastes like dirt." Aiden had been here a few times before when Mom was being treated and had eaten in the cafeteria.

"Aiden, we don't have any other option," I told him.

"We do; the coffee shop near the bus stop had some amazing-looking donuts," he told me.

I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself. Lashing out at Aiden would be wrong, and I was not the kind of Mom who took out their frustration on their kids.

"I will stay here while you take him to the coffee shop," Pol offered out of her good heart.

I hesitated to leave Mom again. I didn't want to make her feel like she was a burden. But I owed it to Aiden. He had been staying with Pol since last night and would need to remain tonight, too.

Mom passed me an assuring look that she was okay and that I should take Aiden to the coffee shop. Picking up my handbag, I walked out, holding Aiden's hand.

The coffee shop was nearby, and when we reached there, it was bustling with coffee lovers. I bought Aiden his donut and turned when I bumped into someone. They lost their balance, and the coffee from their cup spilled onto my clothes. I thanked the heavens that it was cold coffee; otherwise, I would be having blisters all over my breasts.

"I am so sorry," the woman apologized.

"It's okay," I smiled and assured her it was not a big deal while she rambled apologies.

She left after my multiple assurances, and I asked Aiden to wait for me at the door with the guard and went into the restroom to clean myself.

I studied my reflection in the mirror. My top was a complete mess, with coffee stains all over the front. Cursing myself for not being careful and repeating that the day couldn't get any worse, I tried to fix my state the best I could. Thank heaven that I had asked Pol to bring me a change of clothes. Otherwise, I would have to head home to change them.

I walked out of the bathroom, and my heart stopped at the sight that met me. Logan sat on his haunches before Aiden and said something to him while Aiden's gaze was fixed on his half-eaten donut lying on the floor, his chocolate brown eyes filled with tears.