Chapter 6

Christina

"Nothing is happening to Gran," I snapped at Aiden, his eyes filled with tears.

Cursing myself for snapping at my son for no fault, I tried to wake up Mom again but to no avail. I held her wrist and checked her pulse, which was running very slowly. Turning on my heels, I dialed emergency and informed them about Mom not waking up.

The team arrived after fifteen minutes, and after shifting Mom on a stretcher, they carried her downstairs to the ambulance. Aunt Polly had arrived hearing the ambulance's siren, and she assured me to look after Aiden while I went to the hospital with Mom.

"You are going to be fine," I said to Mom, holding her hand in one of mine.

She has to. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to get through life. Mom was all I had apart from Aiden. She had been there for me when I was going through my most challenging phase in life. Life as a single Mom had not been easy for me, and it was my Mom's support and love that made me get through it.

"I need you, Mom. Please don't leave me alone," tears trickled down my face as I kept staring at my mother's face.

She was one the most beautiful women I had ever known before contracting cancer. Now, there was no sign of that woman. What was left was only a shell of what she used to be. Her cheeks were hollow. There were dark circles under her eyes. Her skin was frail and blotchy, and barely any muscles were on her body.

After we reached the hospital, they shifted Mom onto a stretcher and rolled her into the emergency, and the doctors started treating her and performing different tests on her. I waited outside in the hallway, pacing and praying for her to get all right.

The doctors shifted Mom to the ICU after they had performed all the tests on her. The doctor asked me to his office, and I followed him with a sinking heart. I was dreading what news he might give to me about Mom.

"As you are aware, her cancer has spread, and it caused her blood pressure to drop, and it was the reason for her unconsciousness. We are treating her, and she will wake up soon," The doctor informed.

I gave out my breath and thanked God that Mom would be okay. My relief lasted only briefly because his following words pulled the ground from below my feet.

"She will need additional care and needs to be admitted to a medical facility where there are professionals to look after her. Her condition will only worsen, and she will need all the help she can get," The doctor said, and I just kept staring at him.

Did mom need to stay in a medical facility? How was I going to pay for it? I could barely handle the expenses and put food on the table. How was I supposed to arrange the money?

"Ms. Williams... Ms. Williams, are you okay?" The doctor inquired in a concerned voice.

Getting a grip on my thoughts, I looked up at him and found him watching me with his eyes full of sympathy.

"You can take her home once her condition is stable, but such instances recur in her condition. Hence, it would be better if she stayed somewhere they would look after her 24/7," he told me, and I could barely nod at him.

I wanted Mom to get the best treatment available. The doctor had made it clear that she wouldn't recover from her cancer, but I could do everything to make it as less painful as possible. But where was I going to get the money?

"How much time do I have?" I asked him.

"We can't say anything for sure; her condition is worsening, and she needs all the help that she could get. I know it's not easy for you, and I would never have insisted if there was any other option," he replied with his tone full of sympathy.

"Thank you, Doctor," I thanked him and stood up.

"Can I see her now?" I asked before walking out of his cabin.

"Sure, she is still unconscious, but you can see her," he answered.

Leaving his office, I made my way towards the ICU. My savings were almost nonexistent, and I wondered how to pay the hospital bills.

When I entered the ICU and went to Mom's bed, she was lying on her bed. Her face looked peaceful, with no sign of the pain that had been on it at home when I got back from work.

Pulling the curtains, I sat on a chair beside her bed, then pulled out my cell and texted Pol that Mom was better now. 

I might have dozed off because the next time I woke, Mom was awake and was holding my hand.

"Hey," I straightened on the chair and smiled.

Mom smiled back at me, and I noticed that only that tiny gesture took a lot of effort from her.

"I am sorry," she murmured in her weak voice.

I stared at her in shock. What was she saying? Why was she apologizing to me?

"You are so young and should be enjoying life. Instead, your life is full of burdens," she said, stroking my hand with hers.

"Mom, what are you talking about?" I asked her, bewildered.

"I wish I could have done something for you. If only I had been stronger and wouldn't have left you in that hell," a tear rolled down her cheek and got absorbed in the pillow.

"Mom, please, you have done more than enough for me. You were there for me when I needed you the most," I tightened my hold on her hand and said.

"I think I failed you, Tina. Will you please forgive me?" Her voice broke from tears, and I felt like someone crushed my heart mercilessly in their palm.

"Please don't say anything like this, Mom. You are the best mother in this world, and I love you with all my heart," I assured her.

Mom always used to get emotional when her condition worsened. No matter how much I tried to assure her that I had nothing against her and that what she had done for me was more than enough, Mom would never be content.

"I love you, Tina, more than anyone, and I love Aiden no less than you," she mumbled as she drifted to sleep again. 

"I know, Mom, and I love you too," I said, but she was engulfed in a slumber again.

I inquired the nurse, who told me it was just because of exhaustion and there was nothing to worry about. I sat beside Mom, gazing at her face while she slept through the remainder of the night.

She woke again in the morning, and I helped the nurse clean her up. I brushed her hair and fed her some soup, which the nurse had brought. Mom sent me to the cafeteria when my stomach grumbled from the lack of food.

I was having my breakfast when I received a call from Joan. I swiped the button on the screen and picked up the call.

"Morning," I greeted her.

"Christina, where are you?" Joan asked in a worried voice.

"Why, what happened?" I inquired back.

"Why didn't you come to work today?" Christina questioned.

"Mom has been admitted since last night, and I am with her in the hospital," I answered in a tired voice.

"Why didn't you inform HR you won't come today? Mr. De La Roche has raised holy hell in the office, and Jonathan has asked me to call you and ask you to come to the office immediately," her voice sounded strained.