Chapter 19

Christina

I wondered who the person could be when Joan accepted the flowers from the guy and signed for it. Before I could protest, she opened the card attached to the enormous bouquet.

"Waiting for your call, Jeremy," Joan read the card's contents aloud, and I wanted to bang my head on the desk.

Joan was an idiot.

"Now he is sending you flowers at work?" She arched her brow at me, and I snatched the bouquet from her hold.

I opened the card and read it to make sure Joan wasn't joking, and to my disappointment, she wasn't. The flowers were from Jeremy, and I wasn't sure how to react to them if I should be happy that he sent me flowers or should be worried that my best friend looked more than pissed.

I still considered my options when I saw Logan walking out of the elevator as the delivery guy stepped in. Logan passed him an assessing look. Then his eyes scanned the bouquet I held. My stomach churned, imagining what Logan might be thinking and how he might react to me receiving flowers at work. Not that it was any of his concerns, but I knew he would use this to humiliate me.

"Are we celebrating something?" Logan asked, halting before us.

I gulped down the lump in my throat and looked at Joan and Samuel, who had the same puzzled expression.

"Is it your birthday, Ms. Williams?" The bastard had the audacity to ask when he knew my birthday was in February.

"Actually, it's from someone Christina is seeing," Joan gave up under the weight of Logan's smoldering gaze.

I cursed Joan internally as she gave me an apologetic look. Other employees had started passing us curious glances because of Logan's presence. He was an enigma for everyone in the company except me. The sexy new French Business partner with a British accent, the looks of an Adonis, and an aura of Lucifer.

Logan took the flowers from my hand and then his eyes slipped over to the card, he opened it, and then his expressions changed to murderous.

My face flushed from embarrassment while Samuel and Joan stared at me with astonishment all over their faces. Logan pushed the bouquet back into my arms and left with unhinged fury emitting from his whole being.

"What was that?" Joan asked, recovering from the shock.

Samuel stared at me with a thoughtful expression, which made me uncomfortable. I placed the bouquet on my desk and tossed the card into the drawer before anyone else could read it. I had enough drama for the day, but I had no idea that fate was just getting started with me.

Jonathan asked me to accompany him to a meeting.  Usually, Joan was the one who went with him, but today he had told Joan she wouldn't be needed at the meeting. I was unsure how Logan might react to my absence, but Jonathan had shut me up before I could object.

When I came down to the entrance of the building in which our office was situated, Logan was standing on the pavement, glancing at his phone.  He looked up from it when he noticed Jonathan and me and arched his brow in question.

"Joan is not feeling well. Hence, Ms. Williams will accompany me to the meeting," Jonathan informed Logan, whose body was taut with tension.

"Ms. Williams is my assistant, and if she is attending this meeting, then it will be with me," Logan claimed in a firm voice, not giving Jonathan any opening to protest.

A car halted on the street beside us, and Logan placed his hand on the small of my back, nudging me towards the car, "Ms. Williams will drive with me," he said to Jonathan in his CEO tone, then opened the door of the back seat for me.

I was left perplexed by Logan's commanding tone. If I obeyed Logan, then Jonathan wouldn't like it, and if I disobeyed him, I had no doubt what Logan might do to me, especially after the incident in the club and the flowers this morning.

Before I could say anything, Logan grasped my arm and nearly threw me into the backseat of his car. He slammed the door shut, making me jump, then rounded the car and slipped beside me from the other side.

"What the hell?" I cried out.

"Not a word, Christina," Logan wrapped his hand around my throat and pulled me to him, not caring about the driver's presence.

"Jonathan is my boss. You can't expect me to go against his direct orders," I agitated.

"Jonathan is your boss because I am letting him. If I want, he would be out of the company before evening," he snarled, bringing my face closer to his.

I struggled in his hold to free myself, but to no avail. His hand was wrapped around my throat like an iron band, tightening with each passing second. The thing that terrified me the most was the certainty in his voice. I knew he was not bluffing about throwing Jonathan out of the company. Logan held more power than I could have ever imagined.

"Who are you?" I asked, scared out of my wits.

"I am your worst nightmare, Christina, and it has just begun," he pulled his hand from around my neck with a jerk, and I fell headfirst onto the floor of his luxury car near his feet from the impact.

Bracing myself on my arms and knees and embarrassed beyond description, I tried to push myself up. When I raised my head, I saw Logan watching me with a triumphant expression, "Always dreamt of seeing a mighty Williams lying at my feet with their nose rubbing on the ground," Logan's voice was filled with mockery. His deep brown eyes held a victorious glint, "never thought my dream would come true in this lifetime."

I felt someone punch me in my guts. Indeed, I had done nothing remarkable in my life besides bringing shame to my family name.

I slid back onto the seat with my eyes filled with tears. How much more humiliation would I have to go through at his hands? Would Logan ever stop? Would he ever forgive me?

"Please," I whispered through blurry vision.

Logan watched me with his eyes filled with contempt and his features covered in loathing.

"Please forgive me, I can't take this anymore," my voice broke as tears trickled down my cheeks.

"You don't deserve my forgiveness, Christina, and I will never forgive you for what you did. Start praying to your God because I am the devil, and you are in my hell now," his voice was cold, and his features appeared to be carved of stone.

Logan would never forgive me, and once he found the truth. Even the thought of Logan finding the truth made my breath stop. I couldn't even imagine what he might do to me.

Can't wait to read further. You can now read 15 Chapters ahead by subscribing on Patreon and Inkitt.