Chapter 20

Christina

Logan got busy on the call for the rest of the drive, to my relief, and I sat glued to the car door as far away from Logan as I could. The driver passed me pitiful glances through the rearview mirror now and again, which only multiplied my humiliation.

I wanted the Earth to swallow me whole because it looked like the only way I could escape Logan. When we reached our destination, I followed Logan silently to the conference room where the meeting was scheduled.

"Mr. Parker, it's a pleasure to meet you," Logan greeted a man in his sixties with grey hair and piercing blue eyes.

"The pleasure is all mine, De La Roche," Mr. Parker replied, shaking hands with Logan.

They fell into a casual discussion about the project until Jonathan arrived while I stood silently beside them. I was trying to make myself invisible to anyone watching.

The meeting started with Logan presenting the plan for the new project. It was an outworldly experience to watch Logan demonstrate something he had been passionate about since childhood.

Logan had always wanted to be an architect, not just an architect but the best out there. His fascination with buildings was what had captivated me and had been the driving force for me to become an architect myself.

Logan was so self-assured and confident that I couldn't pull my eyes away from him even for a second. From the looks of the people who were present in the meeting, it was clear how impressed they were with Logan.

The way his forehead wrinkled when he concentrated on something. The way his lean fingers moved over the screen when he pointed out a particular thing. Watching Logan explain the design of the building was like watching a maestro painting on a canvas.

"So, what do you think?" Logan inquired Mr. Parker after the completion of his presentation.

"It's perfect," he replied in an enthusiastic tone.

Logan's mouth pulled up into a dazzling smile. One which I had not seen in years. If only he would smile more often as he used to before everything happened.

"I am glad you could take out your time for this project. It's my dream, and I want to hire only the best to work on it," Mr. Parker said when Logan settled back in his chair. 

Jonathan tried to look pleased, but his eyes gave away his internal jealousy.  Even though Jonathan was working on this project with Logan, it was clear that he wasn't happy with the way things were proceeding.

"It's an honor working on such a large-scale project. My company had never done any project outside Europe. It is my first time working in the US," Logan replied.

"I told Jonathan if you could romp in De La Roche, then consider the project yours," Mr. Parker gave a throaty laugh, winking at Jonathan, who looked more uncomfortable with each passing second.

Logan and Parker started discussing the other details, and I noted the points. Logan was deliberately ignoring Jonathan's presence while Mr. Parker appeared in such awe of Logan that he didn't care to pay attention to anyone else.

A few things that I learned that day about Logan was that he had started the company a few years back, and it was one of the leading Consultancies around Europe and now in the US. He had accomplished so much in such a short period that one couldn't help but be enthralled by his success.

I always knew he was destined for great things in life, and I was genuinely happy for him if only that would not have come at the cost that it did.       

"Ms. Williams, if you will snap out of your daydreams, I would like to leave," Logan's voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

I looked at the men assembled around me in embarrassment. Ten pairs of eyes were fixed on me in amusement.

"I... I am sorry," I apologized, getting up from my seat.

"I would have said it's okay, but it will take some time for me to get used to your incompetence," Logan's eyes glinted with wickedness while his voice was filled with mockery.

I sucked in a breath and shifted my gaze to my feet, not wanting to see the reaction of the other people in the room to my insult. Blinking away the tears, I gathered my things from the table and stuffed them in my handbag.

Logan was not done insulting me. He dropped his pen to the floor with which he was signing some papers, then looked at me, "Ms. Williams, can you fetch the pen?"

I stared at him in disbelief. Was he serious? But looking at his stone-cold expression, it didn't look like he was joking.  Swallowing the gulp in my throat along with my pride, I walked to where he sat, then knelt beside his chair and pulled out the pen from below the table.

It took all my strength to push myself up on my feet. I extended my hand to Logan, holding the pen, and he pulled it out of my grasp. Smirking at me, he continued signing with his papers. 

I was about to return to my seat when Logan gestured with his hand for me to stay. Taking a deep breath and trying to remain calm, I stayed on my spot. While Logan got busy in a conversation with Mr. Parker again. My leg muscles started to cramp because of standing in the same place for I don't know how long. 

Logan had forgotten that he wanted to leave, or he was deliberately trying to prolong my humiliation. By making me stand beside him like his personal slave while he sat on his chair as a King would on his throne.

I could feel the assembled men watching me now and again with sympathy in their eyes. Even Jonathan looked pissed at Logan's actions. He might have been a pervert, but Jonathan had never done anything like this in the entire two years of my job.

Logan made the past torture that I faced at the hands of Jonathan and his minions look like a cakewalk. If I thought that his hatred and thirst for vengeance would decrease with time, I couldn't be more wrong.

It was like Logan's quest for revenge was only multiplying with each passing day.  And the day he would find out about Aiden's existence, I couldn't even imagine what he might do to me in his rage.  

My cell vibrated in my pocket, and I pulled it out of it and glanced at the caller's name.

Aunt Pol.

She only called me at work if there was an emergency. I looked at my cell and then glanced at Logan nervously. I wasn't sure if he would allow me to take the call.

"Aren't you aware of the protocols of the meetings, Ms. Williams?" Logan questioned in a displeased tone.

"I am sorry, Mr. De La Roche, but it's an emergency," I pushed the words out of my mouth.

He glared at me for a few minutes, then nodded in consent. I rushed out of the conference room and received the call.

"What happened, Pol?" I asked with a sinking heart.

A strange feeling gripped me, and I couldn't pinpoint the exact reason, but I could feel something was wrong.

"Christina, it's Aiden," Pol replied in a bewildered tone.

Can't wait to read further? Now you can 15 Chapters ahead by Subscribing to my Patreon or Inkitt. Link is in the Bio.