Chapter 26

Christina

What was Logan doing there? Why did he have to be everywhere I went? Why couldn’t fate give me a break? He had been MIA for the past four years, and when he returned, he was everywhere I went. I saw Logan pick up the ball and head toward the group of kids and Jeremy, who was already on his way to apologize.

Aiden trotted behind Jeremy, looking on the verge of breaking down. I stayed on my spot, peeking out from behind the man standing before me and terrified to the core if Logan might see me.

The moment both the men were close enough, I saw them tensing. They recognized each other, and so had Aiden. Who said something to Logan, which made him glare at Jeremy. Logan then shifted his gaze from Jeremy and focused on Aiden, who pulled Logan’s t-shirt to grab his attention. Logan’s hard expression changed to soft when he noticed and recognized Aiden.

He dropped down on his haunches and patted Aiden’s cheek. Who seemed to be apologizing to Logan for hitting him with the ball. Logan spoke to Aiden briefly, occasionally patting his cheek or stroking his hair. While Jeremy stood beside them with a clenched jaw.

I prayed he wouldn’t mention me in front of Logan. Then I saw Logan straightening and leaving, giving Aiden a wave. It was my turn at the cart by the time Logan left. I held the ice cream cones in my hand and then walked towards the kids. The kids rushed towards me when they spotted me with the ice cream. My hands were empty within minutes. Jeremy approached me while the kids were busy eating.

“Your Boss happened to be passing from here,” Jeremy said, assessing my expression.

“Logan?” I tried to fake surprise.

“Yes, the one from the club last weekend,” he replied, stuffing his hands into his pockets.

“Did you mention anything about me?” I asked, dreading.

I knew he hadn’t because I wouldn’t be having a peaceful conversation with Jeremy if he had. It would have been Logan and I involved in an ugly confrontation.

“No, I didn’t. But he happens to know, Aiden,” Jeremy answered.

“He doesn’t know Aiden is my son, and I want it to stay like that,” I stared straight ahead, not wanting to look into his eyes.

I could feel his sharp gaze on my face, but I pretended not to notice it.

“Why?” Jeremy asked when he didn’t get any further response from me.

“Logan hates his father,” for me, the topic was over, but Jeremy looked like he had a thousand more questions.

I was afraid I had no answers to his question and prayed he wouldn’t ask anything of me. But Jeremy could not restrain himself, “So, Logan is not the father?”

My eyes shot to Jeremy, and I was about to reply to him when the kids came running to us and began asking Jeremy to get back to play as they had finished their ice creams. Jeremy didn’t look like he wanted to go but had to give up when the demands of the kids increased.

I sighed in relief and went and sat on the bench, hoping Logan wouldn’t pass from there again. I had missed him twice, and it was a narrow escape. Only God knew how Logan might react to Aiden’s existence. He might even kill me for hiding something of that magnitude.

Aiden and I left for home after the practice was over. Jeremy offered to drop us home, but I politely declined, explaining that I had a few more errands to run before I headed home.

Aiden looked pleased while on the way back, “So, did you enjoy today?”

“Yes, Jeremy is so nice,” Aiden said with a broad grin.

I was glad that he liked and bonded with Jeremy instantly. I knew very few people in Chicago who stuck to me after I moved there from England. Joan and Samuel were my only friends; I met them both at work and befriended them.

“Mom, I met that stranger from the coffee shop. He wouldn’t be a stranger if we met twice, right?” Aiden asked, looking at me with his big brown eyes.

“He is still a stranger, Aiden. I don’t know him, and we can’t trust random people,” I told him firmly.

“What if I introduced you two next time? Can you both be friends, and then he won’t be a stranger anymore?” He said in an excited tone.

Heck, that didn’t go as I expected. If we came across Logan again, Aiden would surely try to introduce me to him, which was the last thing I wanted in my life. I couldn’t understand why Aiden was so fascinated with him in only two brief meetings.

“If you are smart enough, Aiden, you will stay away from strangers,” I said in a reprimanding voice.

“But Mom,” Aiden protested.

“Aiden,” my voice was firmer than before.

He pouted and went silent. He didn’t speak for the rest of the way back. After bathing Aiden, I helped Mom shower and prepared lunch for us. When they both settled in their beds for the afternoon nap, I left home for grocery shopping.

I was out of groceries and needed to restock them for the coming week. It took me nearly two hours to buy the groceries, and I returned home. Aiden was still sleeping when I returned while Mom was chatting with Pol, who came over. I stocked the fridge with the grocery and then did the laundry.

Aiden needed new clothes. He had grown out of his existing ones. I made a mental note to take him shopping the following day. Even I needed some clothes for the office because my current ones were all worn out. But it would have to wait for my next paycheck. I could only afford to buy Aiden a few pairs of clothes that month.

After hanging the clothes to dry on the balcony’s laundry stand, I woke Aiden. He was still sleepy, but I couldn’t risk for him to sleep more because he would stay awake late at night. I gave him warm milk and made coffee for Mom, me, and Pol.

“So, how was Aiden’s practice?” Pol inquired when I settled in the living room with them.

“It was good; he enjoyed it a lot,” I replied, sipping my coffee.

“When are we meeting this mystery man?” Pol whispered into my ear in a teasing tone.

“Never.”

I chuckled at her. Of course, I wasn’t introducing Jeremy to them anytime soon. They would only develop misconceptions about my relationship with him. I liked Jeremy. He was a nice guy, but I was unsure if I wanted to take the next step with him.

Logan had strictly warned me to stay away from him, and only for that reason was I tempted to date Jeremy only to spite Logan. But I had learned to pick my battles, and currently, I didn’t want to test his patience. He was like a wounded lion, and I knew that I would only end up hurting myself more.

“Why don’t you start dating? What’s stopping you?” Pol inquired.

“Pol, I don’t like anyone to the extent of thinking about dating them,” I replied.

“But you said the Jeremy guy was good, then what is the problem? It’s not like he is coming back. The guy didn’t make any attempt to find you in the last four years,” Mom joined with Pol, and I could only pray to God to come out of this situation unscathed.

“I am not waiting for him, Mom,” I said wearily.

“It doesn’t look like that to me,” she argued.

“Your mother is right. You have a long life ahead. You can’t spend it alone,” Pol said gently.

“If Mom could spend her life alone, why can’t I?” My voice raised from my inner frustration.

Memories of my past flooded my mind as I watched Mom and Pol staring at me with sorrow.

Read 24 Chapters ahead by subscribing on Patreon or Inkitt. The Link is in my Bio.