Chapter 11

Christina

What was Logan doing there?

My heart thudded against my ribcage. I couldn't let Logan see me. He can't find out Aiden is my son. If Logan learned the truth, he would surely kill me.

Oh, God.

What was I supposed to do?

I hid behind a huge indoor plant and waited for Logan to leave so I could go out and take Aiden back to the hospital. But Logan looked like he had all the time in the world as he chatted with Aiden. Logan wiped away a tear that had rolled on Aiden's cheek gently and the sight made my insides melt.

He then asked Aiden something, who shook his head in reply. I was too far to hear what they were saying, so I tried to read their lips but was not able to understand anything.

Logan pulled Aiden towards him, holding his hand, and patted his back. Aiden said something that made Logan chuckle, and Aiden joined him, too. I wished I was near them to hear what they were saying, but it was too great a risk. I couldn't afford to be seen with Aiden by Logan. As perceptive as he was, it wouldn't take him a minute to figure out everything.

Logan fist-pumped Aiden, saying something, and then messed up his brown hair. While I watched, I was mesmerized by how they both had bonded instantly. Logan asked Aiden something, and he pointed in the direction of the restrooms in reply.

Logan's gaze darted in the direction Aiden had pointed and where I hid. I took a step back and hid behind the wall. When I was sure he would have diverted his gaze from where I stood, I peeked my head out and looked in their direction.

Logan pushed up to his feet and reached out for Aiden's hand. Who, in response, placed his small hand in his huge one and beamed up to him. I sighed in relief when they went to the counter displaying the donuts. I thought Logan might be looking for the mother of the kid he just met. Instead, he asked Aiden something and began pointing toward different donuts. Logan said something to the man standing behind the counter, who packed a single piece of all types of donuts into a box.

Logan then bought a coffee for himself and handed the box full of donuts to Aiden, whose eyes resembled the cartoon heart emojis, while he accepted the box with what I thought was a thank you.

Logan stroked Aiden's hair and patted his cheek before he walked to the door. I was about to leave my hiding spot when I saw him halt. He then turned to Aiden with a watchful expression on his face.

I felt like someone had snuck out all the air from my lungs. Did he know? Logan then shook his head as if trying to get rid of his thoughts, turned, and walked out of the cafe, waving at Aiden for the last time.

Getting a grip over my racing heart, I walked out from behind the plant and went to the spot where Aiden stood with a box of donuts in his hands and a million-dollar smile on his face.

"Mom," he called out in excitement when he saw me.

"Hey baby, what is this?" I asked, feigning astonishment, and pointed to the box.

"They are donuts; I met someone who bought me those," Aiden replied, bouncing on his feet.

"Be careful, or you might drop the box," I cautioned him.

Aiden stood still, not wanting to lose his doughnuts. And I scanned the pavement outside the coffee shop to ensure Logan had left.

"Why did he buy you doughnuts?" I asked Aiden.

"He bumped into me when he entered the coffee shop, and the doughnut dropped from my hand. I was about to cry when he offered to buy me more," Aiden answered.

"Did you forget what I told you about talking to strangers?"

Even though I knew it was Logan he talked to, I didn't want Aiden to think it was okay to talk to strangers and accept gifts from them.

"But Mom, he was very nice, and he wore a suit," Logan said in a way that men wearing suits weren't capable of doing any bad thing when the truth was the complete opposite.

The most harm the human race had faced was at the hands of those well-dressed, power-hungry men. Only if Aiden knew the man he thought was a  gentleman was harassing his mother at work, I wonder how his innocent mind would take that information.

"Still, Aiden, you shouldn't talk to strangers, and nor should you accept gifts from them," I asserted in a reprimanding tone.

"Does it mean I will have to throw these?" His chocolate brown eyes filled with tears at the thought of throwing away the donuts.

I knew how much he loved donuts, but I was torn between making him do the right thing and breaking his heart.

"They could have been drugged," I tried to make him understand the consequences of such situations.

"Do you think these are drugged?" Aiden asked with widened eyes.

"I don't know, and we can't be sure until we eat them and find out, and that could mean someone might kidnap us, " I told him.

Aiden looked torn and sighed at his expression. I should take it easy on him for this time. I knew those donuts didn't pose any threat to Aiden, but we couldn't say anything about the future.

"We can do one thing: we go home, and I will try one. If they are drugged, at least you will be safe," I suggested.

"What if they plan to kidnap you and not me?" Aiden implored, widening his big brown eyes.

"I am sure no one wants me, so there isn't a chance anyone would kidnap me," I assured him.

"Okay," he agreed immediately, and we left the coffee shop.

Today was close, so close. If Logan had seen me with Aiden, I had no idea what could have happened. I thought my secret would be safe with the Atlantic between us, but I should have known better that the world was a very small place. But how long would I be able to hide the truth? Logan was there for the project, and as far as I know, it would take months or even a year for it to finish. What if I didn't get lucky the next time?

You can read 11 Chapters ahead on Patreon or Inkitt by subscribing to the Standard Tier. There will be daily updates on Patreon and Inkitt. The links to the profiles are in my bio or on my Instagram aliza_jabri02