Chapter 22

Christina

My body froze out of terror. I was expecting Logan to give me a hard time for leaving early yesterday, but I didn't expect he would come to the point of asking me directly who was my friend who got into the ER.

"Excuse me?" I tried to act like I didn't hear him correctly.

"Which friend of yours was in the ER yesterday?" Logan asked with a clenched jaw.

His expression had turned murderous, and my fear multiplied with each passing second.

"It wasn't enlisted in the job requirements that I would be held accountable for my private matters as well," I tried my best to put out a firm composure.

"You will be held accountable for everything I want you to answer. Do you understand?" Logan placed his hands on the armrest of my chair and leaned over me.

I pushed back on the chair until I hit its back and cowered into it, trying to get as far away from Logan as possible. But he kept leaning forward until only a few inches remained between our faces. 

He was so close to me that I could see the black specks in his deep brown iris around the pupil. Pine and cedarwood smell invaded my senses, mixed with Logan's scent, throwing me back into the past. I loved his smell. Logan still used the same cologne after all these years.

I had gifted it to him on his eighteenth birthday before leaving for college. I was only fourteen at that time but had harbored a crush on him since my childhood.

"Who is that friend, Christina?" Logan pinched my chin between his fingers and thumb and growled into my face.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and tried to push out the words from my mouth, "You don't know her."

I clapped myself for speaking the sentence without stammering. From how much he terrified me at the moment, it felt like an achievement to even be able to talk in that condition.

"Don't lie to me, Christina," Logan roared, almost crushing my chin in his hold.

I yelped from the pain, and he loosened his hold on it. It was a consolation that he was not willing to hurt me physically.

"I am not lying," I cried back in helplessness.

"Wasn't it the guy who sent you flowers?"

I stared at him bewildered, "what does Jeremy have to do with this?" I asked, surprised.

"Didn't you leave early to meet him?" Logan interrogated. 

Oh my God, did he think I left early because I wanted to meet Jeremy? How could he even think I would make an excuse for an emergency to go on a date? The realization shook me to my core that Logan hated me so much that he thought I was capable of something so low.

"Of course, no. I didn't meet Jeremy," I answered, looking into his eyes.

He fisted his hands and banged them both on the armrest, making me jump in fright as I cried out in terror.

"Your fucking lies again," Logan cursed, glaring at me. 

It was a miracle that I didn't burst into flames from his smoldering gaze. My heart was beating so loud that I could hear it in my ears. My breaths came in the form of pants as if I had run miles.

My cell began ringing in my pocket. I wanted to check if it was from Pol. I was still not fully satisfied with the doctor's assurance about Aiden's health. What if they were mistaken and something happened to Aiden? The thought only was enough to make my heart sink.

"Is that him again?" Logan questioned, his features turning stone-hard.

"I don't know," did he think I held some special powers to know who was calling me without checking my cell?

"Check it," Logan said and leaned back a few inches.

I gave out the breath I was holding and didn't even realize it till now, then pulled out my cell from my pocket. It was from an unknown number, maybe some promotion call from a bank or an insurance company.

"Accept it," Logan ordered.

I received the call and placed the cell against my ear, saying hello.

"Christina?" the person from the other end asked.

"Who is this?" I inquired, startled.

"Hey, it's me, Jeremy. Sorry, I got your number from Joan," he said.

"Jeremy?" My face went pale.

Logan tensed, and I could feel the rage rolling out of his body in the form of waves and hitting me. He pulled the cell from my hand and turned on the speaker. While I just stared at him, appalled. 

"I was wondering if you received the flowers yesterday. I was hoping you would call me after you got them, but you didn't, so I decided to call myself," Jeremy continued talking, oblivious to the fact that Logan was listening to him along with me.

"Christina?" Jeremy called out at my silence, "Are you there?"

"Yeah, I am sorry. I didn't call you yesterday or today because I was caught up in an emergency. My friend got in an accident yesterday and had to be taken to the ER, and it slipped my mind to call you and thank you for the flowers," I replied to him, composing myself.

Logan clenched his jaw as he glared at the screen of my cell. From his expression, it looked like he wanted to pull Jeremy out of the cell and kill him if there was a possibility of accomplishing it.

"Oh, I am sorry about that. Hope your friend is doing well now," Jeremy expressed in a concerned voice.

"Yes, she is feeling much better. Thankfully, it was nothing serious. A few concussions here and there," I said.

"Okay, that's good. So, I wanted to ask if you are free this weekend?" Jeremy's tone was hopeful, and I didn't want to crush his hope.

But the way Logan's grip on the armrest tightened and his knuckles turned white, I was not sure if it would be wise to agree to a date with Jeremy right now.

"I... I have some plans with my family for the weekend. If something changes, then I will let you know," I liked Jeremy; he was a nice guy, but I didn't want him to get into the crosshairs of Logan.

I had no idea what Logan was capable of, and the way he was after me, I had no doubt he wouldn't hesitate to hurt people associated with me.

"Well..... let me know... if you change your mind," Jeremy sounded disappointed.

"Sure."

I disconnected the call after saying our goodbyes, and I looked up into Logan's face, who was looking beyond furious.

"You won't go out with him," Logan commanded coldly.

"Excuse me?"

"I said you won't go out with him again, Christina," Logan asserted.

"You don't own me, Logan. To order me around like this," I protested, tired of his interference in my life.

He grabbed my throat, wrapping his hand around it in an iron grip and nearly choking me, "I am not accustomed to listening to a 'no.' If I find out you ever went out with him, I will make your life hell," he hissed, unhinged fury radiating out of his being.

"My life can't get worse than it already is," I murmured with tears welling my eyes and blurring my vision.

"You have no idea what I am capable of and what I can do to you, Christina," Logan's threat was clear.

That was the problem: I had no idea what Logan was capable of. From what I had deduced, his approach went wider than the real estate sector. Jonathan was an influential man, but the way he looked intimidated Logan. It was evident that Logan was much more influential than him.

Can't wait to read further? Read 16 Chapters ahead by subscribing to my Patreon or Inkitt. The link is in the Bio.