Chapter 28

Christina

Aiden was ecstatic that he could buy the Batman suit, and that was the only thing he babbled throughout the ride home. I felt guilty that I wasn't the one who had been able to buy my son that suit. What was my use if I couldn't fulfill even the smallest wishes of my boy?

Did I make a mistake bringing Aiden into the world? I  wasn't able to care for him the way he deserved to be cared for. I was depressed the rest of the day, and Mom sensed my sulking mood.

"Is everything okay, Tina?" She asked while having her soup for dinner.

"I don't know, Mom," I sighed, then raked my hand through my hair in agitation, not sure what to say and how to say, "sometimes I feel like a terrible mother who isn't able to provide his son with a good life."

"Good God," Mom exclaimed, aghast, "what made you think like that? You are an amazing mother, Christina, and the boy adores you," she added.

"I know he loves me, Mom, and it's because kids have this unconditional love for parents and vice versa, and it's not because I have been a good mother to him," my eyes watered. 

I didn't know what my problem was, but I felt that Aiden would have been better off with his father, who would have been able to provide for him much better than me. The problem was his father had no clue that he had a son whose existence he was unaware of.

"Listen, Christina, I don't know what's going on with you lately, but you looked too stressed. Even Pol has noticed your distracted state, and now, out of the blue, you are saying that you are not a good enough mother for Aiden. What happened? Has anyone told you anything?" She inquired in a concerned voice.

I placed my head in her lap and let my tears loose. Mom set the soup bowl back into the tray and stroked my hair gently. She let me cry until my sobs subsided and my tears dried up.

"Tell me, did crying make you feel better?" She asked.

I lifted my head from her lap and wiped my tears, "A little better," I replied, embarrassed.

Mom cupped my face and then kissed my forehead gently, "I wish I could take away all your worries," she said, her eyes filled with affection. 

I wish we could transfer our problems and worries to someone else. I would have gladly transferred it to Cynthia and her bitchy friends.

"So tell me, what happened?" She pressed, wanting to know the reason behind my depressed state.

"Nothing, in particular. I feel maybe he could have been better off with his father," I replied honestly.

"The man who didn't bother checking up on him once?"

"Mom, he isn't aware of Aiden's existence," I protested.

"Yes, but he is aware of yours, but he still never tried to find you," Mom's voice was full of contempt.

"I moved. How could he find me?"

Mom didn't say anything further. She knew that I was telling the truth. I had moved from England to the US four years ago, and no one in England was aware of my whereabouts. They would have come for me if they would have known where I was.

What if Logan informed them? He couldn't be in contact with them, right? After everything that happened, indeed, he had every reason to stay away from them like me. But what if he wanted vengeance from them, too?

Even the thought knocked all the air out of my lungs. Beads of sweat appeared on my forehead as fear gripped over me. What if they learned where I was? What if they come for me?

"Tina, are you okay? You don't look well to me," Mom's concerned voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

"I am alright, Mom. It's just the thought that they might find me, and then they will know about Aiden. I can't let anything happen to him, Mom," I blurted out in panic.

Mom looked worried at my panic, and I cursed myself for stressing her when the doctor warned me to ensure Mom wasn't stressed.

"Mom," I called as I noticed her face went paler than it already was, "Mom, I am okay," she snapped out of it, and I sighed in relief as her face returned to its normal color, which was still pale because of her sickness.

"I am sorry, Mom, for stressing you out with my nonsense," I apologized to her.

"It's okay, Sweetie, you don't need to apologize. If not me, then who will be there for you?" She asked, spreading her arms for me.

I slid into her arms and hugged her carefully, making sure not to hold her tightly. Pulling away from the hug after a few minutes, I passed Mom the bowl of soup again. She finished it in silence, and I carried it back to the kitchen.

Aiden was already asleep in our room. I changed into a nightgown and slipped into the bed. I couldn't fall asleep after the events of today.  My mind kept going back to Logan and Sierra. His behavior towards her was shocking.

I couldn't understand why any woman would let a man treat her like that. Especially a woman like Sierra, who was independent. Why would she tolerate his arrogance and rudeness?

My eyes fell on Aiden's new suit, which he had hung on the back of his chair. I felt a twinge of pain in my heart. I needed to do something for Mom and Aiden. I needed to arrange money for Mom's hospice care. Her condition was worsening. She looked weak and paler than before.

She would need a blood transfusion next month, and the doctor had advised an MRI scan of her whole body to see where the cancer had spread further. I fell asleep considering my options from where I could arrange the money, but I had only one option, and it was not something I was looking forward to.

The following day, I was late for work due to not getting proper sleep last night. Mom had woken up in the middle of the night with a fit of cough, and it had only worsened until the morning. I asked Pol to take her to the hospital and get some medicines prescribed by the doctor.

I dropped Aiden at Eddie's place so Pol and Mom could go to the hospital without worrying about him. Eddie's Mom, Serena, was a lovely woman. She assured me it was okay to have Aiden over. He and Eddie could play together in the morning, and then she would take them to the Park in the afternoon.

"Christina, Jonathan has called a meeting," Joan informed me as I passed her in the hallway.

I wonder what the meeting was about? Hopefully, he would cancel the partnership with Logan's firm and rid me of his existence. I didn't want Logan to stay there anymore. He was everywhere in my life. In the office, wherever I went outside, and if he reached my home, he would uncover the secret I had been trying to hide for the past four years.

To my disappointment, Jonathan wasn't ending the partnership. Instead, he was throwing a party on Saturday in honor of Logan and the successful signing of the deal with Mr. Parker.

"Christina," Sam pulled me aside after the meeting. 

"Hey," I greeted him.

"I was wondering if you want to go to the party with me?"

My eyes shot up to his. Was he asking me to accompany him as his date? There was only one way to find out.

"You mean like a date?" So I asked Samuel.

You can read 28 Chapters ahead by Subscribing to Patreon or Inkitt. The Link is in the Bio.