Chapter 23

Christina

"What do you want from me?" I was on the verge of breaking down.

It was a miracle that my body still functioned with all the stress it had been through lately. I didn't doubt if things continued like they were, I would have a nervous breakdown.

"I want to break you, shatter you. I want to destroy you to the extent that you will never be the same as before," Logan exclaimed without remorse.

If only he knew I was nothing like the girl I used to be. I had lost her at some point in the past four years and hadn't even realized it. What remained was only a shell that went through life like a machine. The only bright part of my life was Aiden, and without him, I might have been lost. It was because of him that I returned to life and tried to be normal again.

"You can't break what's already broken," I said to him without any hesitance.

"You think you know what pain means? You think you know how betrayal hurts?" His features hardened, and his eyes raged with an emotional tempest.

I didn't miss the pain and hurt in his eyes, mixed with rage and a raw desire for vengeance. Whatever Logan and I had was destined for doom from the very first moment. I only wished it hadn't played out as it did. If only I could have saved Logan from all the hurt and pain.

"You don't know a thing, Christina," Logan's voice got colder as he pulled his hand from my throat.

"Get out before I do anything that I will regret later," he snarled, stepping away.

I stood up immediately and dashed towards the door of his office. I could still feel his hot breath on my face and his hand wrapped around my throat.

"Stay away from him if you don't want him to get hurt," Logan called out from behind.

I opened the door and stepped out without looking back, closed it behind me, and leaned against the door, closing my eyes and clutching my throat with my hand. My skin still burnt from where he touched me. It had always been like that. Logan's touch ignited a fierce need within me, which only he could fulfill.

My breathing was heavy, and my heart was beating so hard against my ribcage as if it would break out of it.

I couldn't understand Logan; one moment, it felt like he wanted to crush me, and the next, it looked like it hurt him to look at me. That wasn't the first time he looked conflicted. The last time he had called me in his office after finding me talking to Julien, he had pulled away from me as if my touch had burnt him.

"You okay?" Samuel's voice sounded from beside me.

I opened my eyes, startled, and looked at him. He stared at me with a thoughtful expression on his face.

"I am fine," I replied to him.

"So, how is it going with the flower guy? Are you dating him?" His voice was full of hurt.

I felt sorry for Sam. He was a nice guy. The thing was, I didn't want to lose a friend if things didn't work out between us. If I crossed the line with him once, things would never be the same again between Sam and me.

"I only met him once, Sam, and it was a blind date. I am not sure if I would date anyone with Mom's deteriorating health each passing day," I said in a wearied voice.

"Hey, I am sorry. I know it's none of my business, but if you want to date again, I want you to give me a chance," Samuel said apologetically.

I sighed, shaking my head to and fro. I didn't want to have that discussion with Samuel at the moment. Why was everyone so damn interested in my dating life? Couldn't I even go on a date with a guy I like without creating drama?

Samuel reached out for a stray strand of my hair and tucked it behind my ear while I sucked in a breath. I wish he would take the hint and back off. He deserved someone better who wasn't broken like me.

The door to Logan's office opened, and I froze in panic. Samuel's hand was still in the air, with his fingers grazing my ear. Logan looked between Samuel and me with narrowed eyes, and Sam pulled back his hand immediately.

"You still here, Ms. Williams?" He said, grinding his teeth, "I remember asking you for a coffee," Logan gave Sam a sharp look, which made Sam take a step away from me.

I stared at Logan, aghast at his blatant lie. When did he ask me for a coffee? As far as I remember, he only told me to leave his office and stay away from Jeremy.

"But..." I opened my mouth to object, and he interrupted me, "Coffee, Ms. Williams."

"Right away, Sir," I gulped the lump in my throat and turned and headed to the pantry.

"Do you need something, Mr. Clark?" I heard Logan addressing Sam in a cold voice.

"No, I was just passing by," Samuel replied in an embarrassed tone.

"I would appreciate it if you would focus on work rather than wandering around the office," Logan taunted, and I heard the door close with a loud bang.

My hands shook as I made coffee for Logan, thinking how furious he might be after seeing Sam and me together for a second time. It made my palms sweat, imagining his thoughts about me. Considering his opinion about me, he surely wouldn't hesitate to assume the worst about me.

I should have been more careful. I couldn't give Logan more leverage for hating me than he already has. Samuel, Julien, and Jeremy, anyone in Logan's place would think I was playing with all three of them simultaneously. Given our history, it wouldn't look far-fetched to him.

I wish I would have died or that Logan wouldn't have found me in the woods on that fateful day. That night never happened, and my life would have been what it was before it. I had stayed oblivious to those secrets that had now changed everything.

"Why don't you leave Jonathan alone if you are fucking Logan?" Cynthia's voice from behind pulled me out of my thoughts.

Not her.

Not right now.

I had enough for today and didn't want any kind of conversation with Cynthia, but the way she stood blocking the door of the pantry, I didn't have any choice left.