Chapter 14

Christina

"Did he mention anything?" I asked Sam with a sinking heart.

"No, he didn't," Sam replied, shrugging his shoulders, then inquired, "Is something wrong?"

"No," I replied too quickly, and his brows arched up in askance.

Heck.

Now, I had gotten Sam suspicious, and I could only hope he wouldn't dig around much. I excused myself and rushed towards Jonathan's cabin to avoid Sam's accessing gaze.

Knocking the door, I entered his cabin when Jonathan permitted me. He was sitting behind his desk, and for once, he wasn't scowling today. Praying that this was not about what happened between Logan and me, I settled on the chair across from him.

"I see you have been busy in the last few days," he remarked, looking at me with narrowed eyes.

"Mr. De La Roche had been keeping me busy," it didn't come out as I intended, and I cursed myself internally for it.

"That I have noticed," he barked.

I gulped the lump in my throat and watched him as he shuffled through some papers on his desk, then opened and closed one of his orders.

What was the matter with him?

Jonathan was acting differently today, and I couldn't understand his motives. Why had he called me there if he didn't have anything to discuss?

"I don't know what kind of relationship you have with De La Roche, but I can tell you he isn't a man who sticks to a single woman," Jonathan finally spoke, and his words startled me.

Was he thinking that something was going on between Logan and me?

"Excuse me?"

"You can lie all you want, Christina, but everyone has noticed his interest in you," Jonathan fixed me with a glare.

"It's strange how anyone can think he is interested in me when all he does is humiliate me," my voice got heavy from the tears that were pricking at the corners of my eyes.

How could everyone in this office be so blinded by the hostility that they can't see the loathing and hatred in Logan's eyes for me?

"How is your mother now?" He asked out of the blue.

Mom was doing better than before and might get discharged in a day or two after staying in the hospital for four days.

"She is better," I replied.

"You know you can always come to me if you need anything," Jonathan said, rising from his chair.

I sighed, realizing where the conversation was headed. Jonathan used to remind me now and again that my problems wouldn't exist if I chose to get into bed with him with a wedding band on my finger. But I knew better that my life would only get worse than it already was.

His last wife had accused him of abusing her physically and sexually during their divorce, and I had no interest in marrying an abusive man who was the age of my father.

"Thank you, Sir," I offered him a fake thank you.

"You can call me Jonathan," he whispered in my ear.

Immersed in thoughts, I had not noticed him walking around the desk, and he was now standing right behind my chair. He placed his hands on my shoulders, and I tensed as my stomach churned with disgust.

"You smell so good. I wonder how you would taste," he murmured as his lips grazed my earlobe, and he sniffed, burying his face in my hair.

I stood up with a jerk as a wave of nausea took over, and I felt like puking. Whirling around, I saw Jonathan smirking in wicked amusement.

"I didn't intend to scare you, doll," he said, reaching for a stray strand of my hair.

I leaned back, stepping away from his hand, and my back hit the edge of his desk.

Terrified, I watched him with widened eyes and a sinking stomach. He had cornered me like all the times in the past. I should have known better and should have been more cautious. That was not the first time he had tried to harass me. Once, he had tried to thrust his hand under my skirt when he found me alone in the pantry.

I had slapped him then but hadn't reported to HR, one because he owned the company and the second because I needed the job badly. With the recession and sinking economy, there weren't many vacancies, and I didn't want to lose this job.

He stepped forward, pushed the chair aside, and grabbed my arm, "Don't try to act too pious. I have seen the hickeys on your neck. Which were not there during the meeting in the morning," Jonathan hissed with a thunderous expression on his face.

My face paled as I felt someone pull the ground from below my feet. I watched Jonathan, horrified. There were hickeys on my neck?

How?

Then I remembered with a flash that Logan had bit and suck my neck when I was in his office. My hand reached for my neck instantly where he had kissed it.

How could I be so reckless?

Jonathan watched my actions with a triumphant smirk on his face. He surely did corner me then, and I couldn't think of anything to escape this situation.

"Do you take me as a fool? I know you are fucking Logan behind the closed doors of his office," anger simmered through his body.

"I am not," I replied, enraged.

"You won't have anyone to go when he is done fucking you and tosses you aside," his grip on my hand tightened as he pulled me closer to him.

If only Jonathan knew Logan wasn't there to toss me aside; he was there to destroy me and wipe out my existence from the world. And with each passing day, I knew I was nearing my doom.

Pain shot through my arm as Jonathan tightened his hold on my arm, "Leave my arm. You are hurting me," I struggled in his hold.

"Accept my proposal, Christina, and I will forgive you and even forget that you were fucking my business partner but remember, once De La Roche is gone, it will be just you and me," A knock sounded on the door, but Jonathan ignored it as he grasped my chin and pulled my face upwards.

"I would rather die than marry you," I asserted and watched as his jaw clenched with rage.

The knock sounded again, and that time, he stepped back from me, dropping my arms and cursing the intruder.

"You have one week to come up with a decision, and if it's not a yes, then remember you will lose this job and can watch your mother die," he warned as his eyes traveled the length of my body.

I felt ants crawling over my skin under his leering gaze. Jonathan's gaze always made me uncomfortable because I knew what kind of a pervert he was.

"I can already tell how tight your cunt will be," he squeezed my ass, and I felt bile rise in my throat.

The person standing knocked on the door again, more persistent and impatient than before.

"For God's sake," Jonathan groaned with annoyance and walked back to his seat, then permitted the person to enter.