Chapter 1

Christina

"This was going to be my last day in this world," I thought, glancing at my wristwatch and waiting for the elevator. 

The elevator door opened, and I darted out of it. I had been on a week-long leave from work as I was on vacation with my family. It was my first day after the leave, and I was already late.

Joan had texted me that there would be a meeting in the morning at 9, and it was already ten minutes past nine. Making my way towards the conference room as fast as possible, I smoothed my dress to remove any creases.

Jonathan, my boss and the biggest asshole on Earth and would put my head on a spike for arriving late to the meeting. It was all Aiden's fault. If he hadn't stayed late watching the movie, I wouldn't have slept late in the morning.

Knocking on the door with one hand and turning the handle with the other, I balanced my laptop and handbag with my arms, holding them close to my chest. The glare I received from Jonathan the moment the door opened had the power to burn down anything with its sheer intensity.

"Can I come in?" I asked in a meek voice, poking my head inside.

"What time is it, Ms. Williams?" The old bastard asked in his gruff voice.

"Nine???"

"Fifteen past Nine," he snapped.

I pressed my eyelids shut and took a deep breath, trying to calm my frantic breathing and racing heart. It wasn't the first time, and it surely won't be the last. Jonathan was a control freak and a punctual one at that.

"Sorry, this won't happen again," I said in an embarrassed tone, opening my eyes.

Twenty pairs of eyes were staring back at me, some with sympathy, some with amusement, and a couple with mockery.

"Joan, how often had Ms. Williams said the same thing?" He asked his Secretary Joan, who unfortunately was my friend and was now torn between her loyalty to me and her duty towards her boss.

She was staring at me with sympathy, not sure what to say. It wasn't the first time I had been late for work. Mom's illness didn't let her sleep properly at night, and most of the time, I had to stay up late with her.

"Joan," Jonathan growled, snapping Joan and me out of our eye lock.

"The nth time," Joan whispered.

"Can you please say aloud," he barked.

Jonathan hated me. It was his favorite pastime to humiliate me in front of the whole staff. The sadist bastard took joy in humiliating everyone who worked for him, but I was his personal favorite.

I needed this job badly, with an old mother who was suffering from cancer. No matter how much I earned, it always seemed less. With the expenses of her medicines, I barely managed to get through the month on my salary. Which would have been great in any other circumstances, but right now, half of my salary was spent on her treatment.

"The nth time," Joan said in a louder voice.

Satisfied that the whole room had heard Joan's answer, Jonathan glared at me with an evil glint in his eyes. The old pervert had been trying to get into my pants for a long time, but I had always avoided him.

That was why he never let go of any chance to humiliate me. It was very simple for Jonathan: marry him and make my life easy. I would die a thousand deaths than let that old hag put a finger on me. Though he never hesitated to grope me whenever he got the chance.

Sometimes, I thought about how my life would have been if I had been a bit stronger and would have fought back against the people who tried to wrong me.