Chapter 27

Christina

The discussion with Mom and Pol opened old wounds. I couldn't focus on anything the rest of the day and kept turning and tossing in bed, even at night. Mom was right. He didn't attempt to find or contact me again. I knew I didn't give him much choice after what happened, but he just vanished into thin air.

I wanted to tell him when I found out about Aiden, but I didn't have any way to contact him. I didn't even know where he had been all those years. What I dreaded the most was how he would react if he learned he had a son.

He would indeed blame me for hiding his son from him. He might not even think once before blaming me that I did it on purpose. Knowing him, he might even try to take Aiden away from me out of spite. I didn't even want to think about anything after that. Aiden was everything I had, and I couldn't even imagine losing him.

My life would be meaningless without Aiden. He was the only source of light in the abyss of my life.

Aiden and I went shopping after lunch in the afternoon. I bought him new clothes of his size. He was taller than the kids his age, just like his father was. He had the Williams genes on my side, which only added to the good looks he inherited from his father.

"Mom, I want a Batman costume," Aiden said, halting in front of a store that sold DC merchandise.

I laughed at his innocent demand, "What will you do with a Batman costume?"

"Mom, please, can I have this one, please," he pleaded, and I could not refuse him.

"Let me check if I can afford it," I sighed and went inside the store.

I checked the price tag on a Batman suit and nearly got a heart attack. What the hell? They were ripping people, and no one seemed to object to it. Even I belonged to the same class of people, not until a few years ago. I never used to check the price tag before buying something—the perks of having a privileged life.

"Aiden, it's too expensive. Why don't we buy something else? A toy or something?" I tried to coax Aiden into buying something cheaper.

"Okay," he replied, with disappointment evident on his face.

We went to the toys section, and I searched for something within my budget. Unfortunately, I found nothing I could buy with the money I had left. There was still a fortnight to pass before I got my paycheck.

I found a replica of Batman's bike, the cheapest but way above my budget. But I didn't want to disappoint Aiden. I might take some credit from Joan to cover my expenses this month and return it to her when I get my pay. 

"Aiden, look what I found," I said to Aiden but didn't receive any response.

I looked around me to see that Aiden was nowhere to be found. I panicked. Where was he? I remember he was standing with me not a few minutes ago. I called his name a few times and then searched the store for him.

The store was large with many sections.  Mom's warning rang into my ears about them using Aiden to hurt me, and my panic multiplied. When I entered the clothes section again, someone pulled the ground from below my feet.

There he stood with none other than Logan. I hid behind a clothes rack before any of them could see me.

"So you like Batman?" Logan asked Aiden.

That time, I was near enough to listen to their conversation.

"Yeah, I love Batman, but Mom said the suit is too expensive, and she couldn't afford it. She will buy me a toy instead," Aiden said to Logan in a sad tone.