Chapter 29

Christina

"I would love it if you could accompany me on a date, but I know you wouldn't. That's why I want you to come with me as a friend," Sam replied in a hurtful voice.

I sighed, then held his hand in mine, "Sam, you know well I don't want to lose you."

"I don't know, Christina, why you avoid me and give other guys a chance when you know very well that my feelings for you are genuine," his tone was complaining.

"I don't want you to get hurt, Sam. Believe me, I can't give you anything and would only make you miserable," I said, looking into his eyes.

Samuel was my best friend and the only few people that I trusted. I didn't want to lose him for something I knew wouldn't last long. I could not love anyone because I still was not over my feelings for Logan. 

Someone cleared their throat beside us, and we both looked in that direction simultaneously.

Logan.

His eyes were fixed on our interlinked hands. I was still holding Samuel's hand, busy in our conversation.

"Ms. Williams, I think it's against the company policy to date a colleague," Logan taunted, seething in anger.

I dropped Samuel's hand in embarrassment. I hadn't noticed that he had not left the conference room after the meeting was over when Samuel pulled me aside.

"Samuel and I are friends. We are not in a relationship," I replied with gritted teeth.

Why did Logan have to be everywhere those days?

Samuel stepped forward and stood beside me, giving Logan space to walk past us, but he halted a step away from me.

"Good, I don't want you to be fucking anyone else," Logan smirked and then walked away while my face turned ashen.

The Bastard.

I could feel Samuel's shocked gaze fixed on me. How could Logan say something like that? What was he trying to imply?

"What did he mean?" Samuel inquired, enraged.

"Sam, it's not what you are thinking," I tried to hold Samuel's hand, but he took a step away.

"You are sleeping with him?" He asked, still covered in shock.

"No," I cried, appalled.

Samuel shook his head with his eyes filled with hurt and disappointment. 

"Sam, he is lying," I took a step towards him.

"I don't understand why he would lie about something like this, Christina," Sam was hurting. I could see it in his face.

He always stood with me when Cynthia and the others had tried to slut shame me, but what Logan just said made all those accusations look true.

"Because he is..." I couldn't complete my sentence because if I told the truth that Logan was punishing me, Sam would ask questions about why Logan was doing it, and I would have to tell him everything.

"I can't believe this," Samuel exclaimed, then turned and walked away.

I wanted to cry. I wanted to call out Logan on his lie. But I knew it wouldn't lead to anything. I would only be creating a scene and giving everyone a reason to slut shame me.

Logan had said it deliberately. He had seen me with Samuel on more than two occasions, and the vengeful bastard he was, he didn't lose a chance to create a rift between Samuel and me.