Chapter 24

Christina

"You want Jonathan?" I arched my brow at Cynthia.

She glared at me with her eyes filled with jealousy and desperation. Cynthia was in her thirties and was desperate to settle down. For someone like her, Jonathan was a good catch. Unfortunately for us both, Jonathan was not interested in her for some reason unknown to anyone.

"But I don't think he wants you," I mocked, and Cynthia's expression turned furious.

"You skank," she took a threatening step toward me.

"Don't you dare," I warned her, and when her eyes focused on the coffee mug in my hand, she halted on the spot.

"Logan will never marry you nor stick around for long," she hissed.

Really?

"Logan isn't interested in me, contrary to what you think," I replied, sighing.

"Don't you think we notice how he looks at you like he wants you but couldn't have you," she chewed upon each word.

"Now you are contradicting yourself. If Logan and I were fucking, why would he give me such a look?" I questioned, hoping my point would go across her thick skull.

"Don't twist facts. We all know you are fucking him," she said, appalled.

Dumb woman.

"Look, Cynthia, unlike you I have work to do. I don't spread my legs for my superiors and, hence, have to work extra hard to please them. So, if you will excuse me," I said calmly, then walked past her out of the pantry.

I delivered the coffee to Logan, who was busy discussing with one of the team members who accompanied him from France. Thankfully, he allowed me to leave immediately, and I was relieved that the dreadful morning was finally over.

The day went without any other incident, and when I returned home, Aiden was waiting for me to take him to the nearest bakery to buy donuts.

"You promised to buy me donuts and brownies," Aiden exclaimed as soon as I entered the apartment.

"Of course, I remember my promise. Just let me freshen up and check on Gran, then we will go out," I agreed immediately, not wanting to dampen his good mood.

Mom was with Pol, drinking coffee on the balcony. She came out of her room for the first time after she returned home from the hospital.

"Hey, Mom, it's good to see you out of bed," I leaned over the chair she sat on and hugged her.

"Yes, it feels good to be out in the fresh air," she replied, stroking my hair affectionately.

"Hi, Pol," I greeted Pol after parting from the hug with Mom.

"Want some coffee?" Pol asked after replying to my greeting.

"Not now. I need to take Aiden to the bakery. He wants to have donuts," I declined, stating the reason.

Mom and Pol laughed and told me he had been waiting for me since he woke up from his afternoon nap. Aiden had a sweet tooth like his father and loved anything that contained sugar. The only thought of his father engulfed me in grief. If only Aiden could grow up knowing him, that wasn't possible. I had lost him, and Aiden would have to grow up without him.

"Mom, we are getting late. The donuts with the chocolate frosting will sell out," Aiden called out from the living room.

"Give me a minute," I replied and stood up, taking my leave from Mom and Aunt Pol.

We both walked to the bakery and bought donuts and brownies for Aiden. We came across a father-son duo playing football on the way to our apartment. Aiden halted and watched as the father taught his son, who might be a year or two older than Aiden, to play football.

"Hey, what's up, buddy?" I got down on my launches beside him.

"Mom, can't Dad come back?" He asked, staring at me with his big chocolate-brown eyes.

My heart thudded against my ribcage so hard I was afraid it would break out of it. Aiden missed his father. It was natural at his age to want to know and spend time with his father.

"Do you miss him?"

"Yeah, I wish he was with us, and he could teach me how to play football," Aiden replied sadly.

I felt someone crush my heart with their hand. I tried to give Aiden everything, but he needed a father figure in his life. Fate deprived him of it, and my hands were tied. I couldn't do anything other than try to lessen his grief.

I hugged Aiden tightly and hugged him tightly, "You want to learn football?" I asked, pulling apart.

"Yeah, but I want a father too. Mom, can't you marry again? Eddie's Mom married again, and he got a new Dad," Aiden mentioned one of his friends from the nearby buildings with whom he had playdates on a few weekends.

"Aiden, that's not possible. You need to love someone to get married," I ran my fingers through his golden-brown curls

"Can't you fall in love again?" He inquired thoughtfully.

"It's not that easy to fall in love," I said, in a gentle tone, "but I know someone who can teach you football if you want."

Aiden's eyes glinted in delight. Jeremy had mentioned he coached kids' football at the weekend. I could ask him to teach Aiden as well. It would be a good change for Aiden. It might make him forget the absence of a father figure.

"Really?"

"Yeah, I met someone who teaches kids how to play football," I told him.

"That's so cool, Mom," Aiden squealed with joy.

A smile broke out on my face, noticing how happy he was by this information. I would need to ask Jeremy if his invitation was still open. Logan might not like it if I met Jeremy again, but I had to think about Aiden before anyone else. His happiness was the only thing that mattered to me.

"So, when do I get to meet him?" Aiden inquired enthusiastically.

"Coming weekend, I will call and ask him where they practice, and then we can go there. What do you say?"

"Yay," Aiden screamed joyfully, hugging me by wrapping his tiny arms around my neck.

"Let's go home. Pol needs to leave," I pulled from him and then pushed myself up to my feet.

Aiden bounced with happiness all the way home. He even told Mom and Pol that he would learn to play football soon. We all were delighted to see him that happy. Aiden was unlike the other kids his age. Though he was only slightly over three years old, he was more intense. He could understand almost all human emotions and express them better than the children in his age group.

"So, who is this guy you want Aiden to learn football from?" Mom asked me when I tucked her into the bed after dinner.

"He is one of Alex's friends. I met him over the weekend at the club," I answered, checking if the jug on her nightstand was filled with water.

"Is he trustworthy?" Mom's voice was filled with concern.

"Of course, Mom, why would I want Aiden to learn football if I didn't trust him," I replied, shrugging.

"You need to be careful, Christina, especially after everything that happened. You know what they are after and won't hesitate to use Aiden to get what they want," Mom cautioned.

I took a deep breath. I knew Mom was right, but I trusted Joan and Alex and didn't believe they would set me up with someone they didn't trust. Jeremy seemed like a nice guy to me. I didn't get any negative vibes from him, and I trusted my instincts.

"You need to be careful," Mom asserted, and I nodded in agreement.

Can't wait to read further? You can now read 20 Chapters ahead by subscribing to Patreon or Inkitt. The links are in my Bio.