Chapter 40

(The Boot

Inside the base's lock up, where Yang and Blake find a number of lock boxes stored among many items. Inside one of these lock boxes is the relic of knowledge itself, pulsing quietly inside its safe.

After minutes upon minutes of searching every lock box, Yang cracks the lid open and finally retrieves the relic

After minutes upon minutes of searching every lock box, Yang cracks the lid open and finally retrieves the relic. Next to her is Blake, who exhales with relief as she motions to the room littered with lock boxes on the floor, clearly part of a scrambled effort to take what wasn't nailed down.

Blake: "I was worried they may have taken it." 

Yang nods and replies.

Yang: "Well, we have it now. Let's get back to Ruby and Weiss." 

And with that, the two teammates jog out of the room with Yang attaching the relic on her belt. As the two are jogging through a corridor, Yang pulls out her scroll and calls Ruby.

Somewhere else in the base, Ruby and Weiss are rushing down a different hallway. Ruby gets a call from Yang in her scroll and goes to answer it. 

Ruby: "Yang, did you and Blake got the relic?"

Yang: "We did. What about Cordovin?"

There's a moment of pause until Ruby responds back.

Ruby: "She's not coming back..."

Over Yang's shoulder, the jogging Blake goes to speak to Ruby in the call.

Blake: "We'll figure out something else. Where are we meeting up? Should we come to you guys?"

Shaking her head, Ruby is quick to reply.

Ruby: "This place is like a maze. We should meet out on the base's road."

As she says this, there's a slight commotion from Yang's side of the call with Blake distantly calling Yang's name. There's a pause before Ruby asks, her voice becoming worried.

Ruby: "Guys? What's up?"

Unbeknownst to Ruby, Yang's scroll is on the floor next to her foot with Yang staring at the hallway in front of her. At the end of the hallway, Yang and Blake finds a maskless Adam, standing in the shadows of a flickering light, armed with Wilt and Blush.

 At the end of the hallway, Yang and Blake finds a maskless Adam, standing in the shadows of a flickering light, armed with Wilt and Blush