𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚢.

After a good start, Charles has a moment of hope for the results of this race. He has an overall good weekend with the sprint fifth and qualifying second for the race so maybe the gods have blessed him for once. That hope is short-lifted as Checo passes him before the first lap is done. He deflates a little but keeps his head up as he is realistic enough to know there is nothing he can do against the force that is Red Bull.

Looking in his mirrors he can see Max gaining on Lewis and it's done within the next two corners. The looks of the Red Bull behind him make Charles sit up a little straighter. He can't win a battle if it comes to that immediately but he can try to defend to the best of his abilities.

"Gap to max 1.0, expected to be on you in two laps," Comes Xavier's instructing voice. Charles suppresses the urge to roll his eyes. His engineer means well enough but updates about Max are almost useless and he just gets distracted by them if he is being honest.

"Copy." Charles' tone is curt and he keeps his head down focussing on his own race. He wants this podium, even if it's third-place, to close up the first half of the season. The summer break is already on his mind since last month and he is ready to take some time for himself.

Max approaches quickly and he tries to defend but his Ferrari is no match for the Red Bull. Charles makes a mental note to curse Max for it later that day. He loves racing and he loves Max as the dear friend he is. Max is on a high only going higher and Charles is very happy for him and wishes for nothing less for the Dutchman but he can't deny the harsh, sour taste of Jealousy he feels every time Max climbs that highest step. Of course, he is jealous, every driver is because that is the dream they all chase. Except for Yuki maybe.

That thought makes him chuckle to himself and he shakes his head focussing on what he is doing. Max is distancing himself quickly and Lewis is far enough behind for Charles to relax a little.

After the pitstop that went okay Charles resumes his position in third quickly. "Expected rain in a minute, it will last about ten minutes," Xavier says over the radio.

Rain could shake up the race quite a bit. "How much?" he asks quickly.

"Light, we don't want to switch to inters. You will lose positions."

Charles hums to himself before communicating back to his engineer. "Copy, keep me updated."

When the rain comes he has one little moment but he is not struggling as some of the other drivers are. He lets out the breath he was holding and grins to himself. This is what lets his blood flow quicker, the thrill of the risky driving that just goes as it should. Being one with his car is not always easy but when he seamlessly flows into the machine rumbling beneath him it makes him feel something that can't be compared to anything.

One thing. One feeling he can compare it to.

He pushes down the feeling that bubbles up in his stomach. He can't get distracted on a wet track. He can think about everything concerning that when he doesn't have a machine under him going hundred fifty kilometres per hour.

The race is easy after that and when he crosses the line he does so in third place. A fist in the air is the only sign he gives of his happiness before driving to parc-fermé behind Checo. He parks his Ferrari behind the little '3' sign and climbs out to celebrate with his team. The pats on the back and his helmet feel great. After a good weekend, this is the final result that he hoped for.

He gives his post-race interview and makes his way to the cooldown room afterwards. When he is walking he feels a hand clap on his shoulder. "Great drive out there mate." When he turns Max's happy face is beaming at him.

"Not good enough apparently, can't you just sit out a race once in a while?" he jokes back and Max shrugs with a grin.

"What's the fun in that?"