𝙾𝚗𝚎.

The smell of exhaust fumes and melting asphalt enters the noses of Fayen Gasly and her best friend Grace as they are walking through the gates at the start of the Melbourne paddock. The roar of the cars on the track almost deafens them as they walk along. The Formula One season 2023 had started a month ago and since that moment Grace had been begging her best friend to go with her to the paddock to meet her new boyfriend.

"You will have a great time. Besides, it won't only be great for me, but your brother would love to have you there as well," Grace had told Fayen a week ago when they were having dinner after she had come back from Saudi-Arabia all excited about the sport and the people surrounding it. Fayen knows better, being brought up surrounded by these people and actually trying as hard as she can to avoid going to the races.

"But can't we just have dinner in Monaco? Lando lives there too and I don't mind staying there." Her pleading had been no use, because Grace's mind was set on dragging her to the paddock and as it happens Fayen had an event in Melbourne the Thursday before the Grand Prix of Australia.

"I need to know what you think of him. It's important Fay." Grace had begged her. "I can read everything I need to know online," Fayen had started to argue again, but Grace her puppy eyes made her sway. "But if it's that important to you I will come."

So, here she is. Walking beside her best friend on her way to meet her new boyfriend. To be fair Grace had never been good in serious relationships, but she and Lando were already dating three months and Grace had deemed it necessary for the two of them to meet.

"Lando told me to just wait in the McLaren facility, so he will come find us after practice and we will go have dinner." Fayen only nods while looking around the paddock. The last time she had been to a race was France last year and she had only attended that one because her whole family came to support Pierre, so she had been forced to go as well. Being back in the Formula One world is a weird nostalgic feeling for her and not one she particularly needs.

"I need to find Pierre though, before we leave." Fayen tells Grace. "Of course! I didn't expect you two to only meet up at the restaurant. It is now ten minutes for six, so they will be done soon. Do you want to join me at McLaren or are you going to Alpine?"

Fayen debates that for a moment. She doesn't want to go wandering around the paddock by herself, but ten minutes isn't that long. "I'll walk with you, Alpine is next to McLaren anyway so I will see him if we wait outside."

The two walk in the direction of the black-orange motorhome of McLaren, sitting on the terrace area in the hot Australian sun. "Thank god for threes," Grace mutters as she fans herself with her hand. "Otherwise I would melt. Remind me next time I plan on going here that I don't like Australia."

Fayen laughs at her. "Here, drink before you melt." She pushes one of the just served drinks in her direction, which Grace happily accepts. "And I don't think you can go your whole life without going to Australia again."

Grace shrugs as she takes a sip of her cold drink. "Maybe, but if I get offered a campaign I could always just demand to shoot in a studio instead of in the outback here." Fayen rolls her eyes at her friend's entitlement, but a playful smirk dances around her lips. "I don't know what is worse. You suggesting that you have that power or the fact that you could actually demand that from a brand."

Her face shows victory at that comment and Fayen only laughs harder. "You are the worst to work with." Grace slaps her leg faintly before throwing her hair back. "Am not, you love working with me." She was right. Grace jokes a lot about her fame, but in the end she is far less difficult than most of the people Fayen works with. As a model you are entitled to certain attitudes, but Grace is always polite and cooperating to the brands that she is working with.