𝙴𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗.

When he enters the roof Charles inhales the crisp night air. This clears his foggy head a little and he walks to the edge to look out over the marina and sea behind it. The evening air is not that cold as the summer is approaching quickly. He closes his eyes to feel the light breeze on his skin and takes another mind clearing breath.

"This gives me flashbacks."

Charles opens his eyes quickly and looks at the woman next to him. Her eyes are closed and she seems to enjoy the evening air as much as he was doing just a second ago. His voice seems to have been taken by the air as well, because he can't utter a word to her.

She is so beautiful. The familiar scent of vanilla and orange that always seems to surround her makes him want to shove his head into her neck and smell it. Kiss it. Bite it.

Fuck. Being alone up with Fayen is a bad idea.

She opens her eyes then and grey meets green. Charles stops breathing at the sight of her up close. Her eyes are like a thunderstorm. The storms Charles loves so much. He quickly turns his head back to the sea before he can do something that is going to cause so many problems. Not only for him but for so many people.

"I'm trying here," Fayen says in a low voice. From the corners of his eyes Charles sees that Fayen starts playing with her nails. She looks nervous and doesn't meet his eyes again.

He doesn't know what to answer to that. Trying to do what exactly? But he sees that Fayen is less out of it than he had expected and the little ember in his chest flares up. Maybe this was the opening he needed to finally, finally bury the hatchet.

He tries to keep his tone natural but not make it sound accusing when he asks, "What are you trying?" He keeps his expression soft so she knows he is genuinely curious and it seems to work, because Fayen looks up at him. Her expression is a mix of annoyance, curiosity and Charles doesn't know if he sees it right but it looks like guilt.

She doesn't answer him and he just waits. He feels his heartbeat rise in his chest as the seconds pass slowly in the death silence. Charles wants to keep asking, demanding that she says something. Explqins what she wants. Why she followed him on to the roof.

He waits.

Holding his tongue and Fayen's gaze. He sees the thoughts fly behind her eyes as she tries to form coherent sentences in her head.

She seems to come to a conclusion as she turns away from Charles and lets her eyes roam the roof. "This roof holds a memory I'm afraid of."

A chill glides through Charles' spine as he also looks over the roof. Spots the spot on the other side of the area where they had met four years ago. The railing where she had walked along. Charles has an overwhelming urge to take the woman in front of him in his arms. To tell her she is alright and doing good. That she has enough people looking out for her and that she never has to go back there. He almost takes a step forward, but remembers that it is not his place to make Fayen feel good. The ember in his chest protests and gives him a little tug on his inside out of protest of his restraint.

"But it also is a memory I don't ever want to lose," she continues looking back at Charles. "Because it was the wake up call I so desperately needed."

She smiles weakly and Charles doesn't know what to do other than just stand there, be quiet and listen. He understands that she needs to get this off her chest and the combination of this place and alcohol gives her the encouragement she needs. Charles' inner crisis subsides as he realises how important this must be for Fayen. His internal problem is secondary to her comfort and healing process.

Fayen turns the little smile to Charles and swallows as she prepares herself to start talking. "You were my wake up call, Charles."

That takes the man's breath right out of his lungs, but he doesn't get to recover as she continues talking.