.23.

"What?"

I was shocked. I was speechless. Completely. With all the other things I was expecting she would do, cry, hit my chest, curse me out and be really ferocious and angry, she did the unthinkable. Something that I was not imagining. She called off the relationship that we had, she called it off right in front of my face.

Her eyes were like stones, unblinking and lifeless. The eyes that once looked upto me with love and hope are now filled with emptiness and hollow that somehow I was unable to fill up. Her smile that once cheered me from every misery and sorrow was now gone and replaced with a lips thinly pressed together in all seriousness.

She was gone.

My Lily was gone.

And I was the one to be blamed. The girl I saw for the first time at her University Cafeteria, drenched in milkshake and the girl whose face bespoke every emotion even before her lips opened was now standing in front of me like I was unknown, like I was an enigma. It was like I look the life out of her. It was like I took away her smile, her happiness, her reason to celebrate and her own soul.

"You heard me," she spike coldly and I could feel the chill winds blowing by me, making the last leaves of the maple trees fall around us, "There is nothing between us. Now you are free."

Free? I never wanted to be free from Lily. Did I really hurt her to the point that she decided to leave me? Didn't she understood the pressure and burden I carry in my shoulders when I step inside an operation theatre. Didn't she realise the pain I would feel if I look into the faces of my patients' families crying out to me. Did Lily never understood the reason of my anger that day.

"Lily listen," I began but unknowingly, my strong voice shook for the second time in life. The first one years back, seeing my dead family in front of me. "I- I think we need to talk."

"I think there is nothing to talk between us," she replied calmly and turned her back to me.

"I hope you have a good life, doctor Vincenzo Genesis," saying that, she turned around in a swish and started walking off to my opposite direction.

I stood there in shock. Completely shocked and flabbergasted to realise what exactly happened this very moment. Lily walked away from me and this time it felt like forever.

I shook my head. This was not really a moment to stand and be traumatised with the fact that my girlfriend walked out of our relationship because of my shitty mistakes. This was really the time to act. I could see the seriousness in her demeanor, in her face. She was dead serious about the fact that she wanted me out of her life.

I rushed to her direction, almost screaming out her name like there was no tomorrow, "Lily! Lily stop for God's sake!"

And she stopped. She stopped after my calling but few other people around us stopped us well. Almost all of them looked like students, probably her batch mates.

"Yes?" She turned around with her eyebrows crouched in confusion, "how may I help you sir?"

I knew it. Her tone said it all. She was raging inside and from outside, she was presenting me just a shell of nothingness. This is something I hated so much. I wished Lily would cry and fight me and scream at me to exhaust the anger out of her but this- this, what she was doing was dangerous. She was changing her whole characteristics.

"Lily please," I almost begged, gasping for breath. I knew I was at fault and my mistake was so huge and unhealthy that no amount of apologies could help me repent truly.

"I know I did a mistake," I raised my hands and pointed at myself to make her realise I was as serious as she was about getting her forgiveness back in return.

"I did something horrible which hurt your self respect out of hundred of people, but I apologise Lily. No amount of frustration," I shook my head, "literally no amount of frustration can justify the way I behaved with you. But I am paranoid. I always think I have to pretend you mean nothing to me so you can be off the red list unlike Elena. My reason to protect you and not see you among the people I loved and lost was making me so paranoid into thinking that my enemy is always walking beside you-"

"Lily?" I was interrupted all of a sudden.

As I was explaining my whole heart out to Lily, I never noticed this certain stranger walking to our direction from a distance. He was a tall, broad man, aged and did not look like he belonged here.

Lily turned around immediately and the dead face I was fearing to look at of Lily's was all of a sudden lit up with a big bubbly smile— that same smile she used to give me everytime I came to meet her back in LA. The same smile of happiness and joy she always casted to my direction which brighten up my day. That same smile she was wearing again but it was not for me. She was filled with emptiness and nothingness just few moments back and now her charm was back.

That man standing beside her bought it back.

The fuck was happening with my damn life.

I clenched my fist tightly and could see my future self hurting that man already. For some reason, I was feeling off from just looking at his face. His eyes were sharp just like that off a fierce eagle. Even his body posture felt odd, like he truly did not belong here but was putting up a masquerade or somthing.

"Lily, what are you doing?" That man asked. No, he demanded to know with a smile plastered on his face.

"Oh nothing," she smiled back at him, "just catching up with a friendly acquaintance here."

And she looked at me. There was only hatred in the eyes that I once looked down with love and admiration. She did the exact same thing I did with Crystal Demero, her friend but the differences laid in our causes. I did what had to be done to protect her. And she was doing what had to be done to hurt me. Lily was never like this. She feared to hurt an ant and now she was breaking my heart like it was nothing.

"Excuse me," I spoke in between, to shut that man off. God forbid I was not really an violent man from nature or else I was going to rip off his head right now. I had bloods of mafia in my veins as well, "I would like to talk to Lily Evans for a—"

"No you can't," Lily snapped in between, "We are done talking, Vincenzo."

Saying that, she turned around again and started walking away, hiding her eyes from my sight.

"Lily listen!" I tried to scream again but that man came right in front of me.

His sharp eyes bore into me like he was ready to pierce me with a fucking dragger at any moment. What problem did this man had, I had no idea of anything about it. However it was clear enough to understand the real intentions sometimes.

"I think Lily does not want to talk," he calmly added and turned around behind her, following her.

I literally couldn't believe Lily would get herself a body guard like that. Although I know she was trying hard to hurt me, but she couldn't. She was Lily evans, even her pretense of hurting me was enough to catch a lie on. I knew what I had to do to win my girl back again, and this time with respect and dignity.

But this man, he was just bad news.

---------------------

Update after so long! Yeah, you readers should definitely follow me to know what all happened and why I couldn't publish. Please follow my profile ornavias and make sure to share my book, vote and comment to keep me encouraged in writing more for you guys! Thank you!