Chapter 28

PUBLISHED 6/12/15

Rider's POV

"So, what about staying at a hotel?" Mrs. Adams suggested.

"I'm beat," says Lou, as the other boys murmur in agreement.

I wasn't going to argue, as the boys were tired, and so was I. We were far enough away from the warehouse, as we were in Ohio, working our way to Texas, or a far enough away airport.

They all looked at me for the verdict. I just nodded, yawning. Mrs. Adams drove a bit further, then pulled up to a massive, gorgeous, hotel. We walked in, and Mrs. Day started talking to the man at the desk, and we sat in the lobby.

"You guys alright?" I asked, sighing.

"Just a bit shaken up," Lou admitted. Harry, Liam, and Zayn nodded.

Niall was deathly pale, and slightly shaking. They said something, or did something odd to him.

"Ni, what's wrong?" I asked, sitting next to him.

"Just... scared," he admitted, "They scared me. They said all these crazy things."

"The were just trying to get into your head," I assured, "It's what they do."

Mrs. Day walked over to distribute room keys. Liam and Zayn shared a room, as Lou and Harry did. Niall and I shared, and Mrs. Day had her own.

"I heard there was a pool, kiddo's," she says, smiling, "We'll be here for a few days, so take advantage of it."

We nodded, and walked up to our rooms. Turns out Mrs. Day had everything handled, because there was a closet full of clothes in my size and Niall's. The room also had everything we needed from toiletries to food.

"Wanna swim?" Niall asked, "The guys said the pool's out back, and we can meet them there."

I nodded, and found the swimsuit. It was a simple baby blue bikini, and covered enough of my body I wouldn't have to wear three shirts. I slipped into the bathroom and changed, and slipped shorts and a crop-top over it.

"Hey, Ni?"

"What's up, Rider?" he asks. 

"We need a thing," I say.

"Yeah, we do, but what?" he asks.

"How about...we Hunger Games whistle to each other. To let each other know everything's ok. And, we can act like it's a huge inside joke in front of the guys?" I ask.

"Perfect."

Niall and I walked out together, and saw all the boys splashing and swimming, except Zayn. Niall jumped right in.

"Can't swim?" I mused.

"No," he growled.

"Good," I say, "Neither can I."

I laid my towel out across the long chair, and laid on it. I closed my eyes, and started drifting. I finally feel asleep, until I was awaken.

"She's so going in," I heard Lou say.

"She'll kill us!" Liam said.

"Eh," I heard Harry say, and suddenly was lifted up. 

I opened my eyes, and Lou was carrying me to the edge of the pool. It was the deep end-the 10 foot water. Right before he dropped me, and I processed what happened, I let a out a, "I can't sw-"

And I was dropped under. I held my breath, trying to reach the surface, but it felt like my feet had weights on them. My lungs started to burn, as I let the air out, and started to become light-headed. then, I felt someone jump, and hands wrap around me. I was pulled to the surface, and lifted out of the pool.

How good it feels to breathe...

I got on my feet, and saw Niall was the one that saved me. I turned to look at the other boys, beside Zayn (who was-you guessed it- asleep) and Niall, who saved me.

"What the fuck?" I asked them.

"It was Lou's idea!" screams Liam, "I told him it was a bad idea."

"It was," I agree.

"I swear I didn't know you couldn't swim," promised Lou, protecting his face. 

"Yes, well now we know better than to mess with Rider," I say, "Right?" They nod furiously, and I smile innocently. "So, anyone hungry?"

The boys just mumble a few things, and I dry myself off with my towel. Once I'm dryish, I walk over to Niall and hug him. He looks taken back. "Can I kiss your cheek?"

He nods, and I go to kiss him, but he turns his head around so I kiss his lips. I roll my eyes, but kiss him anyway. He runs his tongue against my bottom lip, begging for an entrance. I grant it, as his tongue explores my mouth, and our tongues battle for dominance. 

I roll my eyes, as we pull apart, to see the boys fake gagging, and Lou giving Niall a pointed glare. We walk in the building, as I pull out my room card. The other boys do, too. It covers our meals. We walk into the kitchen, and are seated. 

"Hi, I'm Ocean and I'll be your server tonight," said the girl, smiling at us. Her and I made eye contact, and there was something awfully familiar about her. "If you don't mind me asking, do I know you?"

"I was just about to ask you the same thing," I say, cocking my head to the side, racking my brain for memories.

Then, I remembered a young girl from a while back. She had dark brown hair, and brown eyes. She was young, maybe 8 or 9. She was shaking a young boy, with similar dark hair and blue eyes like mine.

She was telling him to open his eyes more, they had to go. I ran along behind them, helping her pick him up. Ocean... I remembered her. Right after my parents died, I ran away with Lou and Ocean. Ocean lost her parents, too. I nearly wiped the two out of memories.

"Ocean," I mumbled, getting up to hug her.

"Tommo?" she asked eyeing me. Then her eyes landed on Lou, "Tommo?" I nodded, hugging her. I haven't seen her in eight or nine years. "Hey, Rider."

"Hey, Ocean," I say, smiling.

"I'm guessing you know her?" suggested Niall.

"We used to all be the best of friends," Lou says, hugging her. "What time do you get off?"

"Well, right after I'm done serving you," she says.

"What if you just eat with us?" I ask.

"I guess," she says, shrugging.