Chapter 25

PUBLISHED 5/19/15

Rider's POV

I saved Niall's new letter, printed it, and put it away. I walked out of the room, and smiled as I saw everyone passed out on the couch. I locked the front door, and pulled out the blankets.

I covered them, and chuckled at how Zayn and Misty were snuggled together. Zayn's mouth was slightly agape, and he was snoring lightly. Misty had her head on his chest, and was breathing heavily, and was sweating, and I knew she was having a nightmare.

I shook her awake. "Misty!" I whisper-yelled, and she got up.

"Hm?" she asked, frowning.

"You were having a nightmare," I say, and she nods.

"Thanks," she mumbles, "I'm gonna head up to bed."

"Or, you're going to fall back asleep on Zayn?" I ask.

She shrugs, than curls up next to him. I draped a blanket over them. Misty snuggled up next to it, and I smirked.

I threw a blanket over Liam. I laughed, looking at Louis and Harry snuggled up together. Than, I covered Niall, and he pulled it closer to him. I gave him a peck on the head, turned off the TV, and turned off the lights. I gave them all a last look, then walked over to my room. I sighed, slid down against my door, and thought about my dad, for the first time in eight years-Troy Austin.

He had dark brown hair, but was balding, and blue-gray eyes. He was tall, about six feet. He had a kind smile, and you felt safe when you were even in a mile vicinity of hm. I snapped out of it, and felt warm liquid running down my cheeks. I brought my hand up to my cheek, and looked at it. I was crying, for the first time in eight years.

Suddenly, I had a pure hatred for McKenna. The next time I saw her, I would rip her head off with my bare hands, and- CLANG.

I jumped up, and wiped my cheeks. I ran out of my room, and saw a silhouette, running around in the kitchen. I silently crept in, and saw the shadowy figure-man, medium build, fluffy hair, and was strong enough.

I saw him crouching over, picking up whatever he dropped. I took the chance, and jumped on him, covering his eyes with my hand. I pulled my knife, and held it to his throat.

"Who are you, and who are you working for?" I asked, in a chilling voice.

"Rider," cried the voice.

He walked over, and turned on the light. I saw the blonde quiff, and jumped off. Niall turned around, and showed him piercing, beautiful blue eyes, and blonde, brown hair.

"S-Sorry," I apologize, hugging him.

He hugs me, then pulls back a bit. "Why are your eyes red?" he questions.

"T-They're not," I say, giving him a fake a smile.

"Liar," he said, poking me, "Why were you crying?"

"I was just thinking about my dad," I say, sighing in defeat.

He sits down at the table, opening a bag of potato chips. He points the bag towards me, and I grab one, munching on it.

"What was he like?" he asks.

"Sweet, handsome, and you always felt safe around him," I say in awe, "He had this way of comforting you, and you could tell him anything."

"That was him at the Pentagon?" asks Niall, and I nod, "He didn't seem friendly."

"He's not," I say, "...At least... not anymore. He's an AWOL agent. When things were how they used to be, McKenna had this big red stamp. And as soon as the agent went rogue, she stamped it across their file, and sealed away. I loved doing my first one, because I felt like I was doing away with evil. Now, it just feels childish and grim."

Niall doesn't say anything.

"I wish he was fighting against McKenna," I continue, "He's been brainwashed. I want to talk to him, and show him what she's done to the organization. She's ruined it-completely. I don't know how I was so oblivious as to what was going on around me. How did I not notice it earlier? How did I let her take everything my dad stood for, and worked for... and just let her rip it out from under me like that? How did I let her? H-How did... I-I let h-her...?"

I was full out sobbing now, and I start to fall to my knees. Niall supports me, and lowers me to the ground slowly.

I hear the living room start to stir, but I honestly couldn't care less.

I stood up, suddenly angry opposed to sad. I stood up, and punched the wall behind him. I knew we would have to pay for it, but to bad. I felt blood on my knuckles, but I still didn't care. I ripped my knife out, and threw it to the ground. Niall jumped. I clenched and un-clenched my fists, and screamed in aggravation.

I turned around and faced Niall, and he was looking at me. I could see in his eyes he was terrified of me. And do you know what? I actually cared this time.

I relaxed a bit, and contained myself, and kept my emotions in.

"I'm sorry," I choked, upset I scared him, "I'm sorry I scared you."

I turned around, and saw Lou, Liam, Harry, and Zayn holding Misty. Even she couldn't control me when I had a breakdown like this. But, I hadn't had one since my parents 'died'.

Then, I just let go. I stopped, and dropped to the ground. Niall pulled me into his chest, and held me. He ran his fingers through my hair, and I let myself stop, and let go.

*****

I woke up to Lou yelling, and Niall yelling back. I was in my bed, and my bloody hand was wrapped up. I put my ear to the door, and listened.

"It was a dare, Niall!" yelled Louis, "A simple, petty, dare! Not an invitation for you to have a relationship with my sister!"

"Louis!" screeched Niall, "A.), we like eachother, and B.) she can clearly handle herself! Last night, while you lot were sleeping, she nearly slit my throat because she thought I was an intruder! In fact, I'm afraid to get on her bad side. Actually, I'm afraid to wake the poor damn girl up, because I know she'll get her revenge. Did you see the breakdown she had? She's exhausted."

Niall lowered and softened his voice a bit, "And, Lou, if I didn't truly care for her, why would I stick by her side, when I was afraid she was going to kill me? Because I want to die? Or because I know she won't kill me? She came to her senses last night, when she knew I was scared. If she didn't care about me, just as much as I care for her, why do you suppose she stopped? Or let me hold her? Or hasn't killed me yet? The poor, damn girl needs me Louis, and she needs you-not as a dickhead, but a supportive older brother."

I heard Niall come up the stairs, and walk towards my room. He knocked softly, and I, quietly, but swift, got back in bed. I heard the door creak open, and Niall approach me.

He shook me softly, and I turned around to look at him. He looked genuinely upset.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Louis found out," says Niall, "And he's pissed."