eight

* heads up, I won't be spending so much time on her pushing and stuff. It'll be repetitive, so this chapter will move with speed.

Labor and Delivery...

Natalie regretted not putting on a panty liner in case this moment happened because the moisture was more than she anticipated it to be. She didn't allow herself to panic too much though, taking her phone from the couch to call her doctor. Sam would've thought she'd been through this before because of how subtle she was about this, but clearly she hasn't.

Seeing her react the way she did made him not freak out so much despite having no preparation for something like this, watching her completely muddled as she began trailing to her bedroom. Sam was able to see she was taking a pair of leggings from her draw to change into once following after her, still stunned.

Being shocked and nervous was completely fine. Natalie was just lucky that Sam didn't freak out because knowing that your child was just hours away from getting pushed out could cause some internal feelings that can be too much to handle.

While still on the phone and hearing the doctor ask a few questions, Natalie changed and then proceeded to take two bags from her dresser.

One was obviously for the baby, and the other for her. Natalie always thought she would've been asleep when her water broke, keeping their things close so she wouldn't have to walk around so much. She was still very much nervous and upset from their argument, but she needed to shift her focus from that to assure she had everything she needed to take with her to the Hospital.

Getting Natalie out of the house, she seemed surprisingly ready, even as they made it to the room where she was going to be in the hospital. Neither of them knew if the tension she felt moments before was the cause of her water breaking, but this baby was clearly showing up the moment his father came back into her life.

Natalie eventually changed out of her clothes and got dressed in a hospital gown. She was also given disposable underwear and basic toiletries, although she had packed her own necessities since she knew she was most likely going to spend the night there.

Her insurance was going to cover the bill, so Natalie had less to worry about.

Her mind was preoccupied, so she didn't realize she hadn't texted her parents or the group chat that her friends had set up for this very moment.

It wasn't anything that came to mind since she had been here for an hour, moaning and groaning as the contractions kept creeping in on her.

With the nurses coming in and out to check on Natalie, the two didn't get the chance to talk in private. Sam saw that this wasn't a moment where they should hash their shit out because she was going through levels of discomfort. He wanted Natalie to focus on herself to experience a  safe and easy delivery so all three of them could walk out of here when the time comes.

So, this meant he had to push his anger to the side, and it showed as he pulled Natalie's hair into a ponytail as she sat up on the hospital bed. He may not have even been in this position before, but he knew to be there for her. If she needed water, he got it. Something from her bag, he got it.

Sam would've been amazing during her months of carrying their child, and now neither of them would ever know.

"Hey, Mama," the nurse greeted Natalie with a smile as she returned to the room, "how are you feeling?"

Natalie lifted her head, "I'm fine. The contractions hurt a little less."

"That's good," she grins, "would you want an epidural?"

"Yes," Natalie answered quickly. She may have been preparing herself for this for nine months, but she knew natural births hurt like hell for most.

Sam was the only one lost, questioning the use of the epidural, "what is that?"