thirty five

Iverson Goodwin...

Natalie endured the cold with a bunch of oil smeared on her face and body, keeping her ears warm with some white earmuffs. Being bundled up was a must in this freezing cold weather, so she wore a long John set underneath her clothes. She was snuggled in her black flared yoga pants, black turtleneck, and a North Face puffer. She kept a thick scarf around her neck, gloves covering her hands, and a beanie on her head for extra warmth.

And because she just ordered herself a cup of hot chocolate with roasted marshmallows on top, she was going to heat herself up a little more.

She was out amongst a crowd of people, walking through children and their families as she went to find her father. It was a father-daughter day, and Natalie spent the whole day with Carter.

They spent the morning decorating his house with the decorations Natalie made them go out and buy, sharing a new memory as adults. Natalie was going to be out of New York for a couple of days, and spending quality time with her family was a priority considering she was going to be away for the holidays.

She's never been the one traveling away from her friends and family, so she was starting to get a sense of homesickness, and she hadn't even left yet.

Natalie was also curious about her father's mental state, wanting to catch up and see how things were with him. Although he attempted to hide his true feelings, lying was beginning to rip him apart.

"Marshmallow on top?" Carter asked as he rubbed his hands together in the cold.

Because Natalie forgot her gloves back at his apartment, Carter gave her his to keep her from freezing while they were going to be outside.

"Mhm. Roasted just how you like it," Natalie said with a smile, handing him the blue cup with white writing on it.

"You love me," Carter said as the steam from the cup began reheating him.

"I do," she said as she took a seat beside him, crossing her legs as the sound of yelling and laughter was in the mix of the wind blowing. Natalie lifted the phone that had Luca on the screen and said, "say hi, Grandpa."

Carter smiled into the phone, looking at the child who harshly banged his toy against his tray as he sat in the high chair, "you look adorable," he coo'd, gaining Luca's attention. Luca began moving around the chair with excitement, a smile on his face as he kicked his legs, "I missed you, too."

Luca was with Sam since the activities that she was going to take part in would consist of her being outside. She didn't want Luca to get a cold, so she video chatted with him often throughout the day.

"I love you," Carter said, sending a kiss to Luca. Luca attempted to imitate his movements, but was sidetracked by the toy he had. Carter laughed, Natalie saying her goodbye's to Sam before the line disconnected. Carter looked over at his daughter with a smile and asked, "do you ever get upset that he looks more like Sam than you?"

"No," she slipped her phone into her pocket, "Sam is gorgeous, so that means my little bean will be, too," she looked over at him, "do you ever think how crazy it is that you're a grandfather now?"

He chuckled, "yes. I had gray hairs makin' me feel old, and now I'm a pop pop," he shrugged lightly, "but I love every second I can get with that boy. One day, he's gonna get older and forget all about me."

"No, he's not," she said, shaking her head, "he's gonna ask for you all the time."

She was a daddy's girl growing up, and even some parts of her adulthood still showed that. Her father was there for her through it all; she loves him, and allowing Luca to 'forget' about him was not an option.