epilogue

*IMPORTANT: not me forgetting Sam's grandfather is also named Nico. lmao, just remember bad Nico is dead.

anywhooooo-

epilogue mode incoming you guys... DAMN DAMN DAMN!

It's Your...

"You okay, sweetheart?" Carter asked Natalie as he watched her grip the bouquet of flowers.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm good," Natalie responds with a soft smile, standing across from him as they wait for her cue, "slightly nervous, but I'm ready."

Who wouldn't be, though? It was one of the most important days of her life, and she was filled with both excitement and anxiety as loved ones from all across the state awaited her arrival.

Natalie was going to walk down the aisle to get married, and not just to anyone, but to her childhood crush. Everything was perfect, yet it felt surreal—from the moment Sam got down on one knee to ask her to be his wife to now, waiting behind the closed door.

Natalie has envisioned Sam proposing many times before, but nothing compared to the real thing. She was confident she would be able to tell when he was ready to pop the question, but she was caught off guard when one of their "nights out" turned into an engagement proposal.

She said she was fine with something simple—finding anywhere to be the perfect place—but it moved her to tears that he put so much effort into the proposal. He made sure her favorite song was playing, hiring people to play the music themselves as the violin sounded beautiful to Natalie's ears.

The location was somewhere she would appreciate, and while many might not want sand between their toes, she did. Nothing clicked in her brain, though, as they skipped eating to 'take a walk.' She remembered holding his hand and enjoying the wind that blew on her face in the evening, laughing with him along their trail.

Everything just felt romantic with him, and he was able to keep her a little distracted while talking so that when they grew closer to the set-up, it'd surprise her.

When Natalie did look up, she noticed this large white heart made out of roses with words on it, but she couldn't see from where she was standing because the sun was glistening in her face. The beautiful skies were something she had never seen, but she was intrigued to read what the words said.

It had to be something important, as there were people dressed in black standing nearby with instruments in their hands. She then noticed that the music was coming from them, not some speakers from a restaurant.

She wasn't even aware that this was for her, squinting her eyes to see the words and being guided over to the set-up. She thought Sam wanted to be as nosy as her.

With every step, she let her feet become entangled in the sand, getting a better look at the white rose pedals laid out perfectly against the sand. There was a big arrangement of flowers placed close to the enormous heart, and candles that were wedged into the sand to keep it still were scattered throughout. She was awestruck at the sight and made a comment about how breathtaking it was, quickly stopping in her tracks as she noticed Sam was leading her right to it.

The startling realization that this was for her made her heart skip a beat. With her eyes burning, she covered her mouth. Casting a doubtful glance at Sam, she shook her head.

"No, you," her voice cracks, trying to hold back her tear, "you didn't do this-" she takes a small breath and lets go of his hand to cover her face.

That was thee moment that Sam was going to ask her to marry him—be his wife.

She couldn't stop the tears from falling, using her hand to catch the tears before they could fall, even as he brought her closer to the large heart of roses that had the words Will You Marry Me? in the middle.