12. A Smile

A sick sense of pleasure runs through me when watching Raine shiver to my claiming her as my mate

A sick sense of pleasure runs through me when watching Raine shiver to my claiming her as my mate. Something foreign I have never felt before with a sense of almost possessive nature washes over Fido and I as we want to be the only ones to make her shiver like that.

I move forward some and turn to walk off around the tree line as it is a place I feel comfortable at and many don't get to close to the line unless shifted. Raine follows and makes sure to walk at the pace I set, which is a slow moving pace as it is supposed to be leisurely.

"So have you lived here all your life?" Raine speaks up before I could.

"No, we moved here around eight years ago. Ma was born and raised here but she moved out of state for a bit and we came back here when her job offered it."

"You lived in human population or another pack?"

"Human population. Ma didn't know of wolves back then as she didn't inherit the gene but what a surprise it was when I shifted as a protective instinct." I reply and tell her a little of the past as I knew it as.

"It is so strange to have met someone who also shifted young. I know from the books I read growing up it is unusual but Magnolia and I just kept being told it was because of the accident we were involved where our parents were killed is why we shifted."

"But that doesn't feel accurate?" I tilt my head when it seems like her tone turned to confusion.

"No it really don't." She shakes her head.

"What was it like for you growing up?" I ask.

"Magnolia and I had friends in the pack we were in but then before we ran they started acting weird. They would treat us like glass and say they couldn't hang out. Done the normal schooling and such but didn't have a werewolf histroy class so instead our 'Uncle' made us read books on our kind."

"You say 'uncle' like you're not sure he is."

"Because I don't think he was. What type of family member would lead us to be sacraficed?"

"Yeah, that is not something I would think any family would allow." I shake my head.

Fido starts to bristle within our head at the thought of her being hurt.

Raine goes on to tell me some of the past times she enjoyed doing which was reading or making clothes. Even had a little yarn work involved.

"Do you think I will ever get straight answers about what is going on?" Raine asks quietly.

I sigh. "Really I don't know how to answer that. I can say that Lance and Valin will do everything they can and so will I but first is trying to figure out the main thing happening."

"Yeah." She looks down a little making her hair curtain around her. "What is it you enjoy doing or favorite colors or food?"

I smile some as she changes the topics. "I like green like the forest here. Reading is something I enjoy when I have time to just do nothing, makes me feel like I am constantly learning something."