Chapter 1

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters from the Harry Potter books/movies, they all belong to J.K. Rowling. I also do not own any of the images on my chapters, nor do I know their original sources.

Prologue

I had waited until this day since I was old enough to learn about the world of magic and Hogwarts.

My 11th birthday, the day I would finally get accepted into Hogwarts, the school of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and I could begin learning! I could become one of the best witches to be known in history! They would be recording my names in all the textbooks I'd been collecting for so long!

The clock struck eleven. I thought to myself that this was unusual as our mailman had usually visited by now - I went to check the door again.

As I crouched down, I saw a pile of letters. Instantly, I was excited! The mailman must've kept quiet.

I hurried through the letters, not finding a single one with my name on it. I rushed upstairs to find my mother - she was brushing her teeth in the bathroom. When she finished, I began to speak.

"Mum! Does the letter get addressed to you? Do you know what time it's meant to be here by?" I said.

"No, sweetie, it'll have your name on it. Is it not here-"

There came three loud, drawn-out knocks on our door. I hurried downstairs, and opened the door immediately. I could hear my mother following me and ready to scold me, but she instantly paused and her eyes widened.

Here - here was the man who I'd only ever seen in books and in my Chocolate Frogs that my mum brought me from Hogsmeade's sweet shop, Honeydukes. Here was Dumbledore, stood right in our doorway.

My mother pushed me out of the way and held the door wide open.

"Please," she said, "Come in, sit."

Why was she being so serious? Were the letters a joke? Did Dumbledore visit every young witch or wizard himself?

"Evelyn, isn't it?" The old man said with a small smile on his face as he rested his hands on his knees, sitting in my father's old armchair.

"Yes," I said, giving a slight bow with my head, "It's an honour to meet you so soon, Professor Dumbledore."

"So soon? Amelie, could it-"

"I think Professor Dumbledore has something to tell you, Evelyn. Make sure you listen carefully, okay? I'll go make the both of you some tea," My mother said, hurrying away quickly.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Well..." The man sighed, "There is no light way to put this. Evelyn, I know you have been living in hope that you will attend Hogwarts as a proper witch. I apologise that I must inform you that will not be the case."

My eyes widened, and I felt tears prick at my eyes.

"Is it because I can't use magic yet?" I asked, "No... Perhaps I did something wrong? I'm really sorry, Professor, I'll-"

"No, it isn't anything you've done. You know you are a pureblood, yes?" Dumbledore said quietly. "This doesn't happen too often, but sometimes two parents who possess magic can have a child who doesn't. These are known as squibs. I'm sorry, Evelyn. You are a squib."

Tears spilled from my eyes and onto my cheeks, slipping down onto the carpet.

"It-... It can't be! I've been looking forward to this my whole life, I have to avenge my father-"

I stopped myself. I knew no one would approve of that - just like my mother didn't.

"Not all of the news I am bringing to you today is negative, Evelyn."

I looked up at Dumbledore with hope in my tear-filled eyes.

"Well... You are aware of who You-Know-Who is, right?" I nodded sadly. "He has a rather odd interest in squibs, and we try to protect them. Your mother is unable of looking after you the same way we can. So, Hogwarts would like to offer you a place in our school of Witchcraft and Wizardry, pretending to be a witch. It won't be easy - but all teachers will be informed, and you will not have to perform in classes."

I frowned, but you can guess my answer.