Part 14

Chapter 14

KAKASHI HATAKE

Kakashi Hatake hid in the bushes of a lush tree as he tried to suppress his presence as much as he could as he scanned his surroundings. For the last six months, Kakashi Hatake had been under the tutelage of Leaf's most famous shinobi, Minato Namikaze, and the Yellow Flash himself, and it had been an experience.

Due to the training with his father and then the subsequent help from his half-brother Kakashi had surpassed his teachers from the academy a month or so into the classes. He had pushed himself to excel in his classes so he could graduate early and enter the field once more to wipe out the stain of disgrace from the Hatake name.

His efforts had paid off, and about half a year ago, he had left the academy to go under the apprenticeship of Yellow Flash himself. Kakashi aspired to be like him, to be respected just like him. Yet today was the last day of this special arrangement, and it was the last chance for him to prove himself. A chance to force his sensei into not hindering him with teammates.

TING. TING. TING.

There was the sound of a bell ringing, and Kakashi watched through the bushes as his Minato-sensei began to stand up and take off his blindfold.

"Ok, Kakashi, this is your chance if you can beat me today. I will endorse you for a promotion to chunin," said the man in his cheery voice as the blindfold fell to the ground. HE stiffened up as the man reached into his pocket.

"But why don't we hurry up," continued the man as he took out his special kunai, and Kakashi had the ominous feeling that his efforts of concealing his presence had failed.

"After all, we can't let your teammates wait for us for too long," said the man before his eyes narrowed straight at him. Confirming his earlier suspicion that he couldn't hide his presence completely from the man.

"Shit!" Kakashi said as he saw the kunai racing towards him, but he had prepared well for this and so took out a kunai of his own and cut the two ninja wires tied to the tree, springing the trap he had set earlier.

He ducked down as the kunai passed over him, as a barrage of kunai rushed toward his sensei from all sides. Minato-sensei smiled and jumped into the air to avoid the barrage. He smiled at that as he threw a shuriken at the man in the air, before cycling through a set of hand seals.

"NINPO: SHADOW SHURIKEN JUTSU!" he shouted, watching his sensei's eyes widen as the shuriken multiplied into multiple clones.

"Lord Third's technique, it seems you have been holding back Kakashi," said the man with a smile not perturbed by the barrage of shuriken headed his way before he simply made a couple of handseals.

"FUTON: GALE PALM!" and a strong gust of wind propelled the shuriken back at him, and he had to jump back to avoid getting hit. And then just as his feet touched the ground he felt a presence at his back, and he tsked as he turned around to find his sensei standing right there.

Kakashi had not time to chat as he was forced to engage the man in taijutsu, Kimato-sensei avoided his attacks or simply defended without going on the offensive much, simply highlighting the gape in their skill level.

Kakashi took out his tanto and began to use it, he aimed from above, from the side, even from below yet Minato-sensei remained unbothered as their match continued. Metal screeched against metal as his sensei used his kunai to hook his tanto, forcing it out of his hand.

The blade spun in the air, and Kakashi avoided his attack and dodged to the side before he jumped up and kicked his sword at his sensei.

A sense of triumph permeated through him as he saw the man's eyes widen at this maneuver. Minato sensei ducked to avoid the attack, giving him the opportunity he needed as he pushed chakra through his coils, molding it into the lightning chakra.