Part 4

Chapter 4

UCHIHA FUGAKU

The forces of Kumo had taken a huge setback from their offensive, and a kind of stalemate had been achieved. Both sides were now waiting for reinforcements, for they might have won the previous battle the war was far from over. His forces had now made camps and filled the whole area with traps, making any offensive from Kumo highly unlikely.

"What the hell even was that technique? How the hell did he manage to stall a whole platoon singlehandedly?" muttered his second-in-command for probably the hundredth time. Fugaku did not reply to him as he continued to read the missive from the village, feeling pity for the young Hatake. However, Ensui Nara had another question as he suddenly turned towards her.

"Didn't he learn under Mikoto as a genin? Did she teach him that?" Nara questioned her, and he shook his head.

"No. He developed it on his own. And I hope I don't need to remind you about how unprofessional it is to question a shinobi about their technique," he warned the Nara, who shut up immediately. Though according to the message, Nara wouldn't have much time to question the kid.

He passed the message to Ensui as he looked up at one of the guards at the camp entrance.

"Bring Ohashi Hatake to me!" he ordered, and one of the guards nodded and walked out of the camp. He watched as Ensui gasped as he read the letter.

"Sakumo-san is dead! How?" the Nara questioned, yet he had no answer himself. The Nara placed the missive down as he looked at him.

"I have no idea. The missive doesn't mention anything about that," he replied to Nara's question.

"Was the kid close to him?" questioned the Nara. He nodded.

"They were cordial," he replied, and suddenly his guard entered his tent, followed by the boy in question. The boy's injuries hadn't healed completely a week after the confrontation. Even now, his whole body was covered with bandages, and Fugaku was sure some of those injuries would leave permanent scars.

"You summoned me, Commander Fugaku," the boy greeted him and gave Ensui a nod. Fugaku could tell that the kid was a bit nervous. However, there wasn't any easy way to do this, so he decided to be straight.

"There is no easy way to say this. But Ohashi Hatake, you have been ordered to return to the village. Your father is dead," and he watched as the words registered to the boy. The kid's face became pale, and Fugaku watched the kid's eyes tear up a bit.

Ensui got up to comfort the boy and guided the kid to a seat and left the tent along with his guards. Fugaku was quiet as he let the kid process the news. And a couple of minutes later, the kid finally spoke up.

"When can I leave?" questioned the kid.

"As soon as the reinforcements arrive. According to the missive, they are a couple of days away," and then Fugaku glanced at the kid's injuries and asked once more.

"Shall I send a team with you?" he questioned, and the kid shook his head.

"There is no need. I will be fine," replied the young silver-haired shinobi, and Fugaku nodded. Then he picked up another piece of paper and passed it to the kid.

"What is this?" questioned the young Hatake as he opened the paper, his eyes widened as he saw its contents.

"These are your promotion papers. You have been promoted to a jounin. The youngest since Lord Third himself," he finished with a bit of pride. Miktoto would be happy for him. After all, she adored the kid. The kid seemed taken aback by the news.