"Is This It?.."(21)

Evan's POV- 

Cassidy, Cindy, and Charlie knock and enter the room. Placing an old blank book in front of me and Gregory. 

He is awake, but just barely, with his head leaned onto my shoulder. I know he is trying to stay awake to hear what they have to say. 

For the first time in a long time, I'm terrified. 

"So," Cassidy begins with a sigh, "Here's the thing: it is possible, to un-possess someone." Cassidy pauses for a moment, trying to figure out how to word their next sentence. "However. There is a high possibility either of us won't live through it." 

I hear Gregory's breath catch in his throat. Momentarily stopping before he slowly starts breathing again. 

"I would have to physically remove myself from him, more so his aura, which is harder than it sounds. It'll take a lot of energy, from both of us, if I do this. Humans and spirits and demons and so on, all live off of energy, you know that already, and by joining ourselves together, me and him, our energy storage is combined. And because he is the victim, if I start to run out of energy, his energy will transfer to me until the process is complete." Cassidy takes a deep breath, thinking things out. 

Charlie nods slowly, "And that's why I'm here. I can't give but so much at once, though, and I'm not sure I could give enough to keep either of them really alive, but if either of them do get very close, to death for Gregory and moving on for Cassidy, then I will step in to keep them both.. here. On this Earth." 

So this is it, then. Maybe. Gregory could live. Unlikely, but maybe. 

"Do you want this?" I ask Gregory. The only choices we have are Cassidy finishes the possession, and he dies, or Cassidy does this and there is a chance they both die and William gets out of hell. But there is a chance he could live. 

Gregory sits up and looks at me, he's gotten worse since he was last awake. "Yeah.. That's fine,"

"If you're sure," I look at the floor. 

Goldie sits silently at the foot of the bed. 

"I'm sure. As long as I'm still here, I think I'll be okay. You can do that, right Charlie? Make it so I don't die.. Or not leave the Earth, at least." Gregory looks over at Charlie. His hands are shaking. 

"I can," Charlie smiles slightly, a form of false kindness, to lie about how terrible this whole situation really is. But I know she can keep him here, or at least give him enough he can start to gain his own energy. 

But in the case he dies, as helpful as Charlie's remnant will be, so many other things could go wrong. 

"Okay," Gregory lets out a shaky breath. I don't think he really wants this. 

Cindy moves back and stands beside the door, "I can't do anything like that. I'm just here for moral support." Cindy shakes her fist in the air and tries to seem positive, but she seems nervous, "Do your best, Cassidy,"

"Thanks," Cassidy looks away from Cindy and at Gregory, "If this is what were doing, it's now or never. The whole process is almost over, and we don't have much time." 

"Do it." Gregory seems determined, which is masking his fear. 

So many things could go wrong with this plan. 

Cassidy stays silent for a moment, "Okay. I don't know entirely how this is going to work. Evan, get Goldie and move back. Just in case." 

I gently squeeze Gregory's hand three times before grabbing Goldie and moving to the door, on the side opposite to Cindy. 

Gregory smiles faintly at me and mouths, 'I'll be okay'. 

Maybe. He might. 

Charlie moves to the end of the bed, close enough she could easily interject and far enough nothing severe could happen to her, if something does happen at all.  

Charlie and Cassidy look at each other and nod, giving the confirmation that they are both ready, in case something happens. 

Cassidy sits down beside Gregory and takes a deep breath. 

This could be it. 

The room fills with smoke, as Cassidy starts focusing their remnant and energy into this task. Removing the possession. 

It's hard to see and hear what is happening. I'm sure it would be hard to breath, too. I can't tell if it's quiet or loud, because my ears are ringing, and I'm worried and scared and lost, as if I were alive again, and the person I once was. 

It takes awhile, I think, maybe minutes or hours. 

I hold onto Goldie, for either his safety or mine, I don't know. 

There might be yelling, I can't tell. But after a bit it feels quieter and the smoke starts to dissipate. 

Before the ashes and smoke has cleared, I can't help but wonder--Is this it?