"Remnant.."(10)

Evan's POV-

Admittedly, I'm a terrible cook, and that's why I am relying on fruits and snacks to feed Gregory, because I know I can't really make anything my self. I'm glad he thinks it's for the sake of having 'fresh produce' to be healthy, or whatever, but I don't really know anything about that. 

And for convenience sake, it's easier than meal prep. Gregory seems happy enough with it, so it's fine. 

"Thanks," Gregory smiles slightly as I take the plate from him and put it in the sink. 

"Mhm," I always put the dishes in the sink because Michael won't tell me to wash it, he would tell Gregory to, though. 

A loud crashing comes through the kitchen wall. 

"Whoops," Cassidy looks at the hole in the wall, motioning for Fritz and Susie to come in. "Didn't mean to do that." 

I shrug. Stuff gets damaged here to often to care, "What are you doing here?" 

Cassidy laughs nervously, "I'll talk to you about that in a minute," Cassidy looks around and their eyes meet Gregory's, "Heyy, your that bitch from the Pizza Plex. You're still alive?" 

"Yeah?.." Gregory seems slightly confused. 

Fritz walks up to him, nearly ramming into Gregory with his horns, Gregory moves back slightly in his chair. 

"Hi!" Fritz yells.

"Hi.." Gregory seems stunned for a moment, "You're very.. Pointy?" 

Fritz nods rapidly, "Yeah! I'm a horny demon!" 

Gregory gasps, and puts a hand over his mouth. 

That's about everyone's reaction the first time Fritz says that to them, which he always does. 

"Fritz, what have I said about saying that?" Cassidy sighs. 

"But why can't I?" Fritz frowns. 

"Just don't," Cassidy brings Fritz back over to where Susie is standing. 

"I wanna know too," Susie looks up at Cassidy with puppy dog eyes. 

"No." Cassidy gently pushes them both to the kitchen door, "Go play around. Find Jeremy and Gabriel, if you can, and stay together, I don't want any of you lost." 

I watch as Susie and Fritz run off. 

Whatever Cassidy has to say, it's got to be important if she brought all the children here as well.

"Is the mortal fine to stay?" Cassidy looks between me and Gregory. 

"Mortal?" Gregory seems confused and offended. 

"Probably. What is this about?" I move over to Gregory and pat his head to calm him down a little bit. When he's confused, he asks too many questions.  Cassidy should watch their mouth. 

 "Remember, a little while back, when I said I was having some remnant issues?" Cassidy asks. 

"No." Chances are pretty high that I wasn't listening. 

Cassidy scoffs, "Yeah, well, I am. Charlie said I can't leech off of her anymore, and now I decided to leech off of you and your family, instead. So I'll be here awhile." 

"Hold on, what's a remnant?" Gregory glances up at me. 

Questions, questions. I don't really care, to be honest, it's just hard to explain. 

"It's a source of energy that bounds us to the Earth. But energy itself, and remnant, are two different things." I explain. Somewhat. 

"Hmm?" Gregory doesn't seem any less confused. 

Cassidy adds, "Yep. It comes from dead children, highly emotional energy sources, or you can take it from your friends."

I know Cassidy is more concerned about this whole ideal then they will allow themselves to show. Remnant is a big thing holding Williams hell. As much as I hate Cassidy, they are an important pawn at the moment. 

Oddly enough, I don't think Cassidy is really a pawn at all. I have no purpose for Cassidy, they are just helpful, every now and then, and I suppose that is why it's nice to keep them around. 

But, if Cassidy is really getting low enough on remnant and energy to stay here, perhaps they won't be useful for much longer. 

"Is Charlie your friend?" Gregory asks, trying to piece some things together, "That you're taking from? You seem a bit bitter about that." 

Cassidy seems slightly defensive, "Why do you need to know?.. I mean, she is my friend. But, why would that matter to you?" 

Another thing about Cassidy, is that they show their emotions way too easily. I think that was a big reason William saw Cassidy as an easy target to begin with. You can almost tell what their thinking, sometimes. 

"It doesn't? I was just wondering," Gregory seems impartial to this whole situation, which is fair, he doesn't really know what's going on. 

"I'm more curious what you're doing here? Y'know, alive?" Cassidy leans against a nearby counter and looks out of the window above the sink. 

"Why wouldn't I be?" Gregory still seems confused. 

I should probably jump in before Cassidy says something stupid, "Okay, your voice is getting annoying, Cassidy, shut up." 

"No need to be a bitch. I'm just trying to say your whole little family is shitty and your human boy over here probably has no idea what he's getting into." Cassidy looks away from the window. 

"I've got a rough idea," Gregory seems to be recalling in his head everything that has happened over the past month or so. 

Cassidy laughs slightly, "I don't think you really have any idea." 

"You should probably go check on the kids," I suggest, "And make sure you keep them away from the hallways." 

Cassidy jumps away from the counter and starts heading towards the kitchen door, "Oh, shit, you're right. I'll be back later," 

"What do they mean?" Gregory watches Cassidy leave the room. 

"It's nothing, really. Like you said before, they seem bitter. And they are, about a lot of things." I kiss his forehead, "Really, there is no need to worry about it." 

A/N------------------

Who is everyone's favorite character in this book series?