×38O

Richard, Echo and James stared at Zac.

“He had an adrenaline rush. Nightmare.” Stacy said behind the three of them. Her hair was a mess and she was still halfway asleep.

“What triggered you, Zac?” Echo asked, putting the laptop down on a table.

“Nightmare.” Zac answered again, not wanting to speak of it.
Echo wasn't getting answers about what the nightmare was about. At this point it could be literally anything.

Richard stood next to Zac at his feet. “How far did it spread?”

“My cheek, throat and the first quarter of my chest.” Zac said. “And my back.”

Echo inspected Zac's wounds. “Completely healed. There's only scar tissue.” Echo said as they lifted Zac's arm up effortlessly. He didn't flinch. He didn't grunt. Nothing.

Richard smiled at Zac. “And your throat?”

“Doesn't hurt anymore.” Zac said, but looked at Blake worriedly. “This is all good, but Blake…”

“He'll heal. I promise. We'll get the cream and I can give it to him.” Echo said. He still looked concerned.

“Please, those…things.” Zac looked around as he tried to think, “They're - they're relentless shits. It can spread to other species as well.” Zac said.

“The rat zombie?” Echo guessed.

“Yeah. What other animals could have been infected?” Zac then said.

“We'll be safe in the helicopter. Once we land on the roof, we'll get inside, grab what we need and get out.”James said, trying to sound hopeful.

“Don't worry. I know we're risking a lot here, but Jeremy made a lot of new weapons. The flamethrower that belonged to Blake, it inspired him to build more.”

“I built that flamethrower.” Echo said proudly. “What did he do?”

“He made miniature versions of it and made it lighter at the same time.”

“Please tell me Blake's flamethrower is in one piece.” Echo said as their life flashed in front of their eyes. “That's his baby.”

“It's in the lab. I'll tell Jeremy to bring it along.” Richard said, eying Echo weirdly.
Zac chuckled.

“It's the very flamethrower that killed Billy.” Zac said. “I bet he felt better torching him.”

“Oh, he did. He couldn't stop talking about it to me afterwards.” Echo said.

“Well, that trip was one hectic ride.” Zac looked at everyone sadly. “Please, be careful. I'm begging you.”

“We'll be okay, Zac. Why don't you get some rest.” James then looked Zac up and down. “The Gucci bags under your eyes doesn't vibe well with you.”

Zac looked confused at him. What's a Gucci Bag? Zac decided not to ask.
“You should get some rest too then.”

“Good night.” Echo and James said and left Zac after giving him a brief hug.
Zac watched as they had left. Stacy had left, too along the lines.

“Dad?” Zac said when he saw his father looking at him with guilt.

“Why aren't you angry at me, Zac? It's my fault that you two ended up like this.” Richard said.

“Dad, it's no one's fault. We can't blame ourselves for other's evil nature.” Zac said. Richard looked at Zac. “If someone needs the blame, it's Patrick and Fredrickson.”