41 - The Conflict

Zeus sat upon his throne, rapidly tapping his fingers against his arm rest. He couldn't believe it. This couldn't be happening.

But he knew what he saw when he answered that call.

Finally the doors burst open as Hermes rushed in, sweat pouring down his face. He immediately kneeled in front of the king of Olympus.

"Not quick enough, Hermes." Zeus narrowed his eyes. "What took you so long?"

"I apologize!" Hermes quickly replied. "I-I was in the middle of delivering another message."

"Don't forget that mine always take priority." Zeus ordered with a thundering glare.

"Y-yes!" Hermes squeaked out nervously.

"Good. This is an absolute order that shall be delivered to everyone." Zeus stated.

"E-everyone?!" Hermes gasped.

Had Zeus ever ordered him to inform everyone of something before?

"Minus the mortals. They are useless in this situation." Zeus leaned forwards, intertwining his two hands with a frown. "I am ordering the death of a man."

"The death of a man...?" Hermes questioned.

"Nikolas. White hair. Blind." Zeus spoke. "Currently in Delphi. He must die."

"B-but why?" Hermes asked worriedly.

"Since when have you had the right to question a direct order, Hermes?" Zeus glowered. "You may be an Olympian, but do not forget your place."

"Y-yes sir." Hermes bowed.

"Leave. And inform everyone now." Zeus spoke. "I don't care if they're an Olympian, a minor god, a nymph, or whatever. Inform them all."

Zeus scowled, lightning sparking in his eyes.

"He must die on sight." He viciously spat.

"Yes sir." Hermes sighed, saluted and rushed out of the hall room.

Zeus leaned back onto his throne, rubbing his forehead with one hand. And then someone stepped out of the shadows. He was going to have an ever bigger headache now.

"Hera." He greeted.

"Hello, my husband." Hera smiled, but she didn't give off a friendly aura. "I was under the assumption you had told me about all of your children after my interrogation."

"And I did." Zeus replied.

"Clearly you didn't." Hera chuckled, ticked off. "It's obvious that this 'Nikolas' is the one you suspect to be the one the prophecy speaks of. And yet I don't recall ever hearing about him."

Hera glared at her husband and muttered, "Bastard."

"You do not speak to me that way!" Zeus slammed his fist onto the armrest in anger.

"What are you so afraid of?!" Hera yelled. "You're the 'all-mighty king of the Olympians.' What could you possibly have to fear?!"

"I am not afraid, Hera." Zeus scoffed. "I am trying to prevent the possible destruction of everything we have built."

"You know what I fear?" Hera asked. "That you're becoming your father."

"I will never be like him." Zeus hissed.

"Then why must this son of yours die?" Hera crossed her arms in frustration.

"Because he is more than a mere mortal." Zeus gravely spoke.

. . .

The tension in the air was suffocating. Era felt like Nikolas was staring into her soul, and he couldn't even physically see.