6 - The Escape From The Island

Ria groaned as she headed to the docks of Seriphus. After a couple of days her search was fruitless; no jobs to take, no Nikolas to return, and no random, hidden secrets in the forest.

She was happy she was able to obtain her first drachma from Nikolas, but she had no more reason to be here. Any longer and it would just be a detriment to herself. She needed to go somewhere else now.

The road to becoming the greatest captain sure was tough.

She arrived at the docks only to be greeted with a strange sight. Nobody was in the boats; no crewman, no captains, nothing. The only people were a couple of armored guards standing in front.

"Hey, what's going on?" Ria asked, walking up the guards with no fear, nor hesitation.

"No entry allowed." One of the guards stated.

"But my ship is behind you at the docks. Why can't I go to it?" Ria crossed her arms in annoyance.

"Ah, you're a captain." Noted another guard. "I'm sorry, but we are not allowed to let anybody to their ships, ever since three days ago."

"What?!" Ria exclaimed. "This is ridiculous!"

"Sorry, no one is allowed in, and no one is allowed out." The first guard stated.

"Why?!" Ria exasperatedly yelled.

"King's orders." Second guard stated.

The final, third guard chimed in. "We don't actually know why. But the King has secluded the whole island."

"Wait a little longer." Stated the first guard. "We will likely get some new orders in a couple days."

Ria just muttered angrily as she walked away. She stomped her foot in the ground, slewing a flurry of internal curses at the guards and at the King. Why was no one allowed to leave?! She should've checked on her boat earlier! Who would've expected the exit to be blocked?!

Now what was she going to do?!

. . .

Nikolas sat against the base of a tree in the empty forest of Seriphus. He had been hiding low from the King and his lackeys ever since he exited the castle.

Nikolas had finally accomplished his seven year goal. The conclusion was so fast, he could barely believe it. But he finally avenged his mother. And now he just felt...nothing.

Now what? Where was he to go from here?

All he wanted was to see his mother again. And his mother was down with Hades. So this had brought him to the conclusion that he needed to go to the Underworld so he could be with his mother.

He needed to die.

The tougher question was how. He refused to die to the King or any of his subordinates. Nikolas felt that would be cheapening his vengeance for his mother.

And death by water wasn't allowed either. He refused to die to the domain of that bastard god. One of the gods he hated.

Well, he hated all gods. But that bastard was one of the ones he hated the most.