13 - The 57th Stormcloud Auction

Ria, Nikolas, and Hilga stood in front of Stormcloud Inn. After two days, it was finally the day of the secret auction. The sun was setting, and it was almost time to enter. Hilga had decided to join them while Harold stayed at the shop, completely uninterested.

"So this is Stormcloud Inn." Ria spoke, looking at the building in front of them. "Doesn't look too impressive for a 'super-secret auction'."

"Well, it is supposed to be super secret." Hilga lightly smiled in amusement.

"It's just..." Ria sighed. "I don't know. And will an auction really help? It's not like they'll be selling the entrance to the Underworld."

"That'd be useful." Nikolas stated.

"Probably not." Hilga replied. "I don't believe that is possible. But because of the secret nature of this auction, the people there may hold onto some tougher-to-find information."

"Something like an entrance to the underworld!" Ria gasped.

"Exactly. And not too loud." Hilga smiled, putting a finger to her lips. "It's not quite night yet. There's still people out."

"Then let's just go inside." Ria stated. "Standing out here isn't any less suspicious."

The three walked into the inn, heading straight to the clerk. Nikolas leaned in, whispering the password he had obtained.

"The owl's gray eyes never fail." Nikolas whispered.

The clerk glanced around, making sure no one else was behind them. Upon seeing they were alone, he nodded. A sound was heard, and then they watched as a stairway opened up from the floor.

"Enjoy." The clerk spoke.

"Thank you." Nikolas nodded, descending the steps without any hesitation.

Hilga and Ria glanced at each other, before following Nikolas. Nikolas dragged one hand against the wall, the other holding his walking stick as he lightly hit it against the uneven stairs, judging the depth and size of each one.

Torches against the walls was all that illuminated the stairway as they moved downwards. The entrance above them closed as they finished the stairs, now entering an underground hallway.

"To think it was under..." Hilga muttered.

"This is crazy...how is this possible?" Ria marveled.

"Being underground is a new experience." Nikolas commented. "I wonder if this is how it feels to be in the Underworld."

The three of them continued the short walk through the hallway until it opened up into a larger room. There were multiple seats with a stone stage. In the seats sat multiple men wearing togas, most with various sized beards.

They glanced towards the new arrivals, before looking away almost immediately. It was almost like they weren't even spared a glance. The three moved over to some empty seats, waiting like the rest of the attendees.

"Did any of us bring any drachma?" Ria whispered. "I don't have much...and last I remembered Nikolas doesn't have any."

"I don't have much either." Hilga replied.

"It doesn't matter." Nikolas spoke. "Our goal is not to buy."

"But what if it's like, a map?" Ria wondered. "To the Underworld?"

"I did not think of that." Nikolas replied after a moment of pause. "Then I shall use my backup plan. Good thought, Ria."

"T-thanks." Ria bashfully smiled.

"And what is your backup?" Hilga asked, worried.

Before Nikolas could respond, a voice loudly spoke from the stage.