37 - The Oracle Of Delphi

Pythia smiled at Nikolas, while inwardly wondering what had just occurred. Never before had she seen a vision when making contact with a person. Usually they came to her in dreams, or sometimes randomly. Had it just been coincidence that they were shaking hands at that moment?

Search in the past, for you know it's true.
The secret within shall bring rule anew.

Pythia froze as the words penetrated through her mind. She brought a hand up to her forehead as a dull, aching pain suddenly shot through it. Those words that she had just heard...

There was no doubt about it.

That voice was the same one that first spoke of the prophecy to her. The same one that hadn't come from any of the Olympians.

But it wasn't quite another prophecy...no, it was connected to the other one.

She had a feeling she knew what it was. She had just been gifted the hint needed to solve the prophecy.

And it's timing was deliberate.

This Nikolas was connected.

Maybe he was the key.

"Oracle?" Nikolas tilted his head. "As in a prophecy-bearer?"

"Yes. Have you heard of me?" Pythia looked at Nikolas in curiosity.

"No." Nikolas shook his head.

"Oh..." Pythia deadpanned.

"You saw a...snake?" Nikolas asked for confirmation.

'That's right! The snake!' She gasped in realization. 'It must be connected. And it's singular image I've gotten that has connections to this prophecy. It's important..'

She frowned. 'But what does the a child of sky, water, and death have to do with "the past", a snake, and this Nikolas?'

The obvious connection she could make was that he was a child of one of the three. But even then, the other connections weren't clear. Did this entity want her to search this man's past?

"Yes." Pythia nodded.

"What does a snake look like?" Nikolas asked.

"Have you been blind since birth?" Pythia curiously asked. "Oh! I'm sorry, that was insensitive of me."

"It is fine. Yes. I do not know sight." Nikolas replied. "I like snakes. Can you describe it to me?"

'A connection...' Pythia smiled. "Of course. They're long, thin, and scaly. They have beady eyes and a tiny tongue and they slither around. Does that help?"

"No." Nikolas shook his head.

"Oh..." Pythia deadpanned.

"Thank you." Nikolas stated.

"A-Ah, no problem!" Pythia quickly nodded.

He apologized when she hadn't even helped. It was a stark difference from when people usually asked her for divinations. Whenever she couldn't get an answer or got one they didn't like, they often lashed out at her with harsh words.