|Forever What I Adore|

It took awhile because Lea was still walking on a weak foot though treading through the nasty river did help it a bit, but she led the three of them back up the ship where she immediately sat down to rest while Clarisse gave them a quick tour.

She had quietly explained to Lea, after checking her ankle over again, that cutting off a Hydra's head just meant that it would appear somewhere else. That they were magically linked to store franchises using the life forces of monsters and Lea was still too weak and untrained to manipulate herself. Apparently, some children of Hermes figured out how to do it back in the 1950s.

"You are in so much trouble," Clarisse said once it was finished. The dead Confederate sailors were hissing and cursing about everywhere they turned. They were being racists fucks because Annabeth was a black girl regardless of the fact that she was from Virginia. Clarisse slapped some of them around for the slurs that they were spewing. And then there were the others muttering curses about her and Percy because while they had been interested when Percy told them their last name was Jackson–like the Southern general– he ruined it by telling them that they were from New York.

Tyson was terrified of them. All through the tour, he insisted Annabeth hold his hand, which she didn't look too thrilled about.

They were brought down for dinner where she was once more in the captain's quarters. As soon as Percy came near her, she yanked him down next to her and leaned into his side. "The next time you leave without telling me," she warned. "You'll be a permanent guest in our Uncle's home downstairs, understand."

He laughed lightly, nodding his head. "We didn't have time," he muttered. "But your warning is duly noted."

"Tántalos expelled you for eternity," Clarisse told them smugly. Lea rolled her eyes. "Mr. D said if any of you show your face at camp again, he'll turn you into squirrels and run you over with his SUV."

"Did they give you this ship?" Percy asked.

"'Course not. My father did."

"Ares?"

Clarisse sneered. "You think your daddy is the only one with sea power? The spirits on the losing side of every war owe a tribute to Ares. That's their curse for being defeated. I prayed to my father for a naval transport and here it is. These guys will do anything I tell them. Won't you, Captain?"

The captain stood behind her looking stiff and angry. His glowing green eyes fixed the twins with a hungry stare. And no, Lea had standards. She already had one pedophile zombie to deal with. She drew the line at ghosts too. "If it means an end to this infernal war, ma'am, peace at last, we'll do anything. Destroy anyone."

Clarisse smiled. "Destroy anyone. I like that."

Tyson gulped.

"Clarisse," Annabeth said, "Luke might be after the Fleece, too. We saw him. He's got the coordinates and he's heading south. He has a cruise ship full of monsters-"

"We know," Clarisse snorted. "Lea washed him out real. And if he comes any closer, I'll blow him out of the water."

"Lea?" Percy asked. She waved away his concern.

"We just had a nice talk," she innocently replied. "I think we came to a very good understanding."

"You don't understand," Annabeth said, narrowing her eyes at Lea. "We have to combine forces. Let us help you-"

"No!" Clarisse pounded the table. "This is my quest, smart girl! Finally I get to be the hero, and you two will not steal my chance."

"Where are your cabin mates?" Percy asked. "You were allowed to take another person with you, weren't you?"