Chapter 122

"It's them."

Standing in the center of the dim corridor, nearly frozen on his feet with wide and dispirited eyes blinking, Jin's breath hitches deep in his lungs in a tremulant manner.

His fingers grasp the hem of his clothes, and the spectral shiver runs up to his shoulders, the dreadful sensation gradually spreading to his body.

The man did not spare another minute or two to waste.

After noiselessly stepping a foot to the side, he holds and steadily opens the door to their right.

Miraculously, it was empty.

He pushed it open and ushered Jin inside.

Quietly sprinting towards the door in high hopes of escaping the gruesome possibility of them getting caught, Jin held his chest and stopped in the middle of the empty room when he arrived while still chasing his breath.

Curse his poor stamina.

He looked back and heard the lock of the door.

A sudden chill stroked him across his back.

"This way."

The next thing he knew, a door from the other corner of the room creeks open, and a faint light creep its way inside.

He was stunned at the man's soundless footsteps.

The eroding and aching feeling on his temple punctured alternatively in his head, making it difficult for him to think.

Jin pushed his best to keep himself conscious despite the constant feeling that his body would somehow snap and give in to vulnerability.

A somber silence sits between them when they hear myriad footsteps and muffled voices passing by outside the closed door.

It was only a matter of time before the people that took him here would find out about his absence in the room.

He glimpses at the man whose hand steadily held the door leading to who knows where.

Fear, doubt, and hopelessness consumed him.

All of a sudden, he felt difficulty breathing.

His chest compressed painfully, and his breath was shallower than the last.

"Lad, I can assure you one thing."

The man's hands left the door partly open, and he placed them gently to the front of his stomach as if trying to soothe a child down.

"I will get you out of here as I am told to."

Not caring if it was a white lie, Jin's hands lowered to his knees. His body slowly folds to the floor, and unshed tears emerge in his tired eyes out of melancholy.

"Trust me, child. I have already bet my life to the devil with this task."

Jin shook his head when the man mentioned the devil, but unexpectedly, he did not know it could calm his nerves down hearing such a heretical promise.

Surely no human being would want to give up their soul to the devil.

He collects his thoughts and steadies his heart. He bears a quick clean breath and looks up.

He must not take his emotions into mind.

Right now, what matters the most is he must get out of this hellhole place.

For his mother—for Hiro.

Seething with determination, Jin found his way to the other side of the room, and when he reached the door, he only wished he had prepared himself a breath or two.