Chapter Thirty-Three

Enjoy!

KANO, NIGERIA.

Karma had its way with life --- mostly regrets. People say, 'the energy you give up is the energy you receive.'

Alhaji Muhammad was in the living-room, watching the News showing on the TV. Omais was back from Abuja. There would never have been a reason for him to come to the house. However, he had no choice --- well he did actually --- to go, after his father personally summoned him.

“How was your trip?”

'Why is he suddenly playing nice?' Omais wondered.

Nonetheless, he answered. “Alhamdulillah.” His father nodded and reduced the volume on the TV, using its remote control.

“Was it work-related?” The audacity. Omais scoffed. Since when did he start to care? “Or were you there to see someone?” Why the questions? What's exactly his problem?

“It's okay if you don't want to say anything.”

Omais kept quiet. With a sigh, Alhaji Muhammad said, “I... wanted to talk to you about something.”

His son scruitinized him. “Omais, i'm sorry.”

Now he couldn't just sit there and keep mute. “For what exactly? I take that you know all you did?”

Nailah had gone for her niece's wedding in Jos, she took Sa'ana with. As for Imraan, he was probably in his room.

Alhaji Muhammad opened his mouth but no word came out. He did not expect Omais' outburst. His son had completely changed. He knew more than anyone whose fault it was. “For treating you, Sa--”

“You don't get to say their names!” Omais cut him off as he jerked from his seat as if he were pricked by a sharp needle. “Sit. Please.

Please. So he still knew the word? Ha! Wonders.

He sat back down, trying to control his anger. “I know. Nothing can justify your anger. But wallahi, am truly regretting all i've done. I regret every single thing i did to you, your sister and mother. I regret marrying Nailah because i have come to realise that marrying her is the biggest mistake of my life. I don't know what got into me at that time. Dan Allah, forgive me, my son.”

Omais paused. “You know it's not that easy to forget everything, right? You scarred us pretty bad.” He sighed. “Allah is the All-Forgiver, so who are we not to forgive each other?”

Alhaji Muhammad's heart gladdened a bit. At least, one of the people he hurt in the past forgave him. But the question was: how would he find Asiyah and Sadiya? Only Omais knew for sure.

He thanked him with a smile and shook hands with him. It felt like they were total strangers.

“Let's go to the Mosque, it's almost Asr.” Both men stood up and as soon as they did, dizziness washed over Alhaji Muhammad and darkness welcomed him with open arms.

***

“Doctor, how is he?”

“Let's talk in my office.” The doctor said.

Once in his office, the doctor spelt out the diagnosis. “Your father showed signs of CAD (Coronary artery disease). We conducted a blood test and had an MRI scan to be sure. Eventually, our suspicions were true.”