Chapter Twenty-Nine

Enjoy!

ABUJA, NIGERIA.

“Can you just listen to my own side of story?” He became so frustrated at his sister, he knew she was purposefully pushing him to the wall and he wasn't going to let her 'plan' work.

Omais knew Sadiya was trying to make him angry -- no, furious, so that he'd become fed up and leave.

But no matter the years they spent without them in each other's lives, he hadn't forgotten how smart she had always been. Sadiya huffed and crossed her arms over her chest, “Fine.” She continues, “Just say whatever you want to and leave!”

'This girl seems to forget i'm older than her, older brother for that matter! God, provide me with patience to bear with this sister of mine.'

He pulled his outgrown hair frustratedly. Knowing fully well that nothing could justify her anger towards him.

“Are you gonna talk or not?”

Sighing, he started to narrate what had happened the night she misunderstood him.

*SOME YEARS BACK..*

The sound from the impact of the beating made him flinch even after he convinced himself to be strong for his mother and sister, but the pain he felt in the inside was unbearable.

He thought of his sister, was she there? Was she asleep or was she crying her eyes out behind her locked bedroom door? Wait... does she even know what's happening?

The screams coming from the living room pulled him out of his thoughts. Omais was in his teen years when the 'incident' had happened.

He wanted to cry, the tears weren't budging. His chest tightened as oxygen became his enemy. If he was asmathic, he would have fainted minutes ago.

The agonous torture was wearing him out lately. Omais felt helpless, but he knew he had to-- no, needed to do something. He had to be a man to end whatever hatred that man had had planted in his heart for them.

Their father was no drunkard but he acted like one. He stood up from the edge of the bed and sucked in a breath. Turning the doorknob, Omais opened the door and walked out of his room.

Slightly opening Sadiya's room door that was next to his, he peeped inside and saw her typing away on her phone screen. Phew! At least she didn't know what was happening. He closed the door, making sure she didn't catch sight of him.

Sneakily descending the stairs, he ducked low to check if he'd see any of his parents. No. So Omais ran down the stairs to at least do something to save his mom from the monster's claws.

He just had to do something.

He saw them.. he saw him.. he found him whipping his mother with a leather belt like some animal. It was as if he remained deaf to his wife's pleadings and screams.

And that was all it took.

"Stop, you selfish monster! My Mother is no animal to you!"