no problem; i.ny

Neutral Reader

Awkward glances, accidental touches, short conversations. Is that all you can really do around Im Nayeon?

Is there really no way you can leave the friends stage (you assumed you were friends, despite only hanging out when your mutual friends hang out - which, thankfully, happened often) and be something more? Is there no possibility that you can muster your courage to ask her out, maybe grab a coffee, without stuttering? Will there ever be the day when you wake up in the morning, and the first thing you see is her face?

It became a ritual to have insecurities running through your head whenever you joined these gatherings. You watched your other friends laughing and joking and dancing while you sat in the corner, wanting to go home but also wanting to stay for a certain person. Like right now.

From time to time you glanced at Nayeon, who was weirdly not joining in on your mutual friends' antics. Despite the many nudges she received, she smiled politely and declined. This was odd to you, because it's been about a year since Jihyo introduced you to her, and every party since then involved her drinking at least a can of beer.

Now, she only had a glass of water in her hands. Sure, she's had a shot of soju, but it wasn't nearly enough to make her even a little bit tipsy.

You, on the other hand, didn't even touch the alcohol. You didn't plan on staying the night, so you had to stay sober to drive home. It would also be useful to have a sober friend - other than Mina, who'd struggle handling the girls on her own - to deal with the multiple hangovers the next day.

Flinching when Jihyo yelled out the lyrics to the karaoke, you stood up for fresh air, feeling the desire to inhale oxygen without the smell of alcohol. You tried to do so without attracting attention, but you were still noticed by the girl you tried to avoid the whole night.

Nayeon's eyebrows furrowed when she saw you leave, thinking you were heading home. She gathered her things, apologized to a confused Mina, and slipped out the door you stepped through. However, she quickly realized that it was simply the door to the balcony. Somehow she'd forgotten that the weekend party was being hosted on the second floor.

She smiled when she saw you there, but it quickly dropped when she saw the frown on your face. You looked so deep in thought, your chin resting on your palm, your eyes focused on something farther than the scene before you.

You were thinking of the day before, when Jeongyeon had pulled you away and said, "You better confess. She might never know, and you'd be filled with regret."

You'd only flinched in response, mumbling an, "I can't" before attempting to escape. But Jeongyeon had a tight grip. She forced you to keep facing her, her eyes boring into yours. "Don't be a coward, Y/N." Those words were like a slap to the face. You'd never been called a coward in your life, because you were always rising to the top. Always taking every opportunity to reach your dreams and getting what you want in what you thought was the most righteous way. "Cowards don't gain much. You may think you're safe, but you're really not. You'll be hunted by what-ifs throughout the rest of your life."

You flinched yet again in the present when a warm hand landed on your shoulder. You turned, thinking it was Jeongyeon, but immediately became a flustered mess when your eyes met Nayeon's worried gaze. "You alright? Something bothering you? The others aren't in the state to have a serious talk right now, but.." She glanced over her shoulder at Sana who'd started jumping on the couch. "I'm here."

Despite the cool dawn air (you've been up for so long, the sun was starting to wake), sweat trickled down the back of your neck. You couldn't bring yourself to maintain eye contact with your long-time crush, and your touching skin and close proximity weren't helping. She surprised you, if you're being honest. You wouldn't really say you're close. "I'm fine."

"You're obviously not." She leaned against the railing, unafraid of the pavement below. "Tell me what's wrong."

A sigh left your lips. You had no choice, did you? Shrugging, you looked away again. "Just some stuff. Work's a bit tough. Feeling a bit down, you know? I know we all have those days, but I talked with Jeongyeon yesterday.."

You paused, contemplating whether you should tell her about your crush on her.

Nayeon, interested, moved closer. So close, in fact, that her shoulder was pressed against yours, her intoxicating perfume invading your nostrils. Even then, you avoided her curious eyes. "Mhm?"

"Never mind," you said promptly, walking away and pretending to admire the railing.

"I know we don't hang out much," you heard her say. "In fact, I don't think we've ever hung out with just the two of us. But you know you can count on me as much as the others, alright? When you're feeling low, I'll try to help. Just let me know."

"It's you," you sighed out. "Jeongyeon told me I was a coward for-for not confessing to you. For avoiding you rather than talking to you. For not being bold enough to try something other than.. well, what we do normally. Say hi. Wave. Smile a little."

There was a pause before you felt her presence behind you. "Oh, Y/N," she softly chuckled. "You don't know how long I've been wanting to hear that."

Surprised, you looked at her curiously. She was grinning as if the best day of her life happened, but you were confused. "Huh?"

She took your hands in hers. "I always look forward to nights like these because I get to see you. Talk to you no matter how shortly. I didn't drink much today because if I ever ended up confessing to you, you wouldn't think it was because I'm drunk. I want to make that choice sober, Y/N. Voluntarily. Memorable."

She interlocked your fingers. "So please, Y/N. Now that I know you like me too, would you be mine?"

You started grinning, too. "Kiss me first."

She laughed in amusement. "Okay."

And when your lips met, you thought, Okay, this is nice.

_____________

requested

no there ain't no problem~