|46| Kirigan

~•~

~•~

"Nikolai! Where are Billy and Tommy?!" Evangeline asked urgently after the fight.

"They're upstairs, to the right, keep going down the hall, go left, then go outside to the other part of the first then go down then you're there." He responded.

"What the hell. Why's it so difficult?"

"We needed to keep them safe. Kirigan and his enemies could've tried to get them. We had secret passage ways though."

"Well, then can't I go in the passage way, way?" Eva put her hands on her hips.

"Oh right. It's down the hall in the last room on the right. Behind the bookshelf there's a hidden door. Just go down the ladder and follow the path and you're there."

Eva changed her clothes using her powers. She followed the instructions and soon enough, she made it to her boys. Her eyes filled with tears almost immediately. "Oh my loves." They babbled up at her, seemingly knowing that she's their mother. "I missed you so much my darlings. Oh my..." she trailed off, just watching them.

She bent down to pick them up and took them outside where the others were headed.

-~•🥀•~-

Nikolai was getting carried out with the help of Tamar and Tolya. The latter recited a quote from a poem, "Long man the night carry out souls until the dawn renews us." Nikolai and Tamar smiled at him.

Kaz, Wylan, Jesper, and the two Squaller siblings followed behind them. Kaz stood with his cane now in his hands again. "Rabinov. Canto seventeen."

Tolya looked at him impressed. "Seems we both share an appreciation for life's beauty."

Nikolai groaned.

"Are you okay?" Tamar asked with her hand in his shoulder.

"A moment of sun before we deal with our losses. Dominik..." Nikolai sighed at the memory of his dear friend.

"He did exactly what any of us would have done for each other." Tamar comforted. "For you."

Nikolai's eyes landed in Jesper and Wylan happy they were safe together. Then he spotted, behind Kaz, Alina coming back from up on the hill. Zoya and Nina following along with Inej and Mal.

Inej handed Alina the blade. "You should have this."

"It doesn't belong to me." She said.

"It belongs to a Saint in Shu Han who wants you to wield it. You can keep it safe until you can return it."

"Thank you for saving my life, again." Alina said as she took the blade.

"I told you, my hand is yours whenever you need it. Sankta Alina." Inej smiled gratefully.

"Please, just... Alina." Said Saint grabbed Inej and gave her a hug.

"Thank you Sankta- Alina." Inej corrected herself.

"Could you tell Nikolai about Zoya? I'll- I'll be there in a moment." Alina then jogged away after Mal who had walked into the fort immediately.

Inej turned to face the crowd minus Nina and Evangeline. Jesper popped up from his spot next to Wylan. "Saved!" He squeezed her. They spun and laughed. Eva started to walk out and she saw it happening. She smiled and tucked the babies closer to her. She hopes that's how they'll be like when they grow up.

"And Kirigan?" She heard Nikolai ask.

"Dead." Inej announced. "Zoya is protecting the body. Alina wants it burned."

Eva gasped slightly. She was relieved but she was also shaken. Though he was horrible, he used to be kind and loving. After all, despite how he'd changed, he was still her husband.

Nikolai stood up. "Thank you. My country might have been sunk if you hadn't arrived. Again."

"We'll settle those thanks in gold." Kaz said with his usual stone cold expression.

"Now now Kaz. My brother is trying to be kind." Eva said as she walked over, Billy and Tommy in her arms. Inej squealed and walked over to her.

"Are these the boys?"

Eva nodded with her bright smile shining. Inej squealed again.

"Ohhh they're just the cutest."

"I know..." Eva's smile faded in memory of Aleksander.

"Kirigan has been defeated. I'm sorry, Princess." Inej frowned now too.

"It's alright. It's probably better off this way. They're safe and so is all of Ravka."