|21| Pekka

~•~

~•~

Inej and Evangeline decided that they would look for anything to help them understand the situation. Why they were wanted for murder. Why they were framed.

The two women watched from a dark alley way as a woman walked out of a building counting money. Once the woman had gotten to a brick wall, she leaned against it and continued to count her money.

Inej popped out from the shadows. "Eshana."

"Inej!" The woman said with wide eyes. "You're back! And...? Miss Lanstov? Mrs Morozova?!"

"Sh! Shush!" Eva snapped. "We're here for answers."

"Anything your majesty." Eshana bowed down. She turned to Inej. "It's not safe for you to be in the streets right now!"

Inej shook her head to dismiss this. "Tell me why. Who's been murdered and who pointed at us for it?" The Suli woman asked.

-~•🥀•~-

Evangeline and Inej walked the streets looking for the two other crows. They had finally found them. The girls lurked in the shadows, watching the boys.

"We are in the literal bottom of the Barrel." Jesper stressed.

Kaz turned his head to him. "Stadwatch don't patrol down here. We're safer." He assured. Sensing a familiar presence, he spoke again. "Inej, what did you find. And hello Evangeline."

Jesper spun around in shock, jumping when the girls appeared. "We're accused of murdering Tante Heleen." Inej answered.

"Not me though. I have no idea who this woman is."

"Well wait; We didn't do that." Jesper turned to the three making a weird face. After a few moments, he slowly looked at Inej. "Wait. Did you do that?"

She made a face right back at him, looking a bit angry at this. Eva still held a confused look on her face.

Kaz then spoke up. "It was Pekka Rollins wasn't it?"

"Who?"

Kaz ignored Evangeline and continued. "He framed us for murder."

"He wanted to punish us for taking the job after he warned you off." Inej concluded.

"But why take it out on Tante Heleen?" Jesper asked from between Dirtyhands and the wraith.

Kaz looked down to his feet. "She held the deed to the Crow Club."

"Oh my saints." Eva sighed out. The person who got murdered, who's murder was framed on the three, had the deed to the club the four were supposed to go to and relax in for a night, which is now owned by the guy who possibly killed Heleen?

"We cut the deal so Inej could help us with the Sun Summoner, so Rollins killed her." Kaz theorized.

"He wins the club." Inej nodded. "Everyone who worked there when when you owned it works for Pekka Rollins now."

Eva shrugged lightly, she and Inej flipped a coin for who was going to break the news. "There's more." Kaz nodded for her to continue. "The Menagerie." She meekly pointed to Inej who pulled up her cuff on her wrist. "He uh... owns that now too. Along with everything and everyone else the Menagerie owns."

Jesper had his eyebrows raised in disbelief. "So, stadwatch ware everywhere and Pekka's untouchable. Never thought I'd miss the Fold."

Kaz handed Eva and Inej a paper. "What's this?" The latter asked.

"We aren't the only ones under a false accusation. Your saint and your friend has a new bounty on her head. This time from Fjerda."

"What? They think she's still in cahoots with The Darkling?" Evangeline asked, the paper clutched in her hands.

Kaz nodded and looked to Inej. "This is your ticket to go and protect her. Go to third harbor. Find a stevedore named Jari, he'll put you on a cargo ship out of here."

"You're sending her away?"

"You're sending me away?"

The girls asked at the same time. Kaz looked to his cane as he answered, "I promised you freedom."

Inej unfolded the paper to find some kruge stuffed between the pages. "This isn't freedom Kaz. My indentured contract is owned by Pekka-"

"I'll take care of it." He snapped. "It isn't your fight." He spared a glance to Eva as well, "it's not yours either. It's mine." He then walked away from the three

Little did they all know, it was Evangeline's fight. She too had something to hold against him.

 She too had something to hold against him