|36| Zoya and Tolya

~•~

~•~

Kaz woke up from a nightmare. It was the usual. Jordie's death. He breathed heavily as he sat up. Evangeline got up from her chair and set her book down.

"Kaz? You alright? I could go get you some water." She reached out to touch his shoulder but Kaz swatted her hand away.

"I'm alright." He panted.

"Hun... you're not. Let me go fetch you some water." Eva stood up and left the room.

While she was gone, he went to his sink and scrubbed harshly on his hands and arms. He couldn't bare the thought, just memories of that one touch that took affection away from him at all freaks him out. He panted in pain. Emotional pain.

It pained him to not have his brother. It pained him to think about touch. It pained him to imagine how Jordie would think of him now.

He looked in the mirror. He didn't see Kaz Brekker. He saw Kaz Rietveld. A broken and alone farm boy who just wanted to make a life.

Eva knocked carefully on his door. "I have your water. I know you said you were fine but... I know more than anyone what self deception looks like. So. Drink up. You'll feel better."

She saw he didn't have his gloves on so she decided to set the cup down on a table instead of handing it to him.

He looked at her appreciatively. He grabbed the cup and took a few drinks, his Adams-apple bobbing the couple of times.

"I uh. I'll leave you to whatever you desire to do." Eva gracefully walked away to wake up Jesper and probably Wylan. She knocked on the door.

"No!" Jesper yelled.

"It's just me." Eva yelled back.

"Oh. Sorry."

"It's alright. It's time to go downstairs. Ravka needs saving."

She walked down the stairs with Jesper and Wylan after she had waited for them. "The Neshyenyer?" They heard Nina ask. "Sankta Neyar's blade?"

"So you haven't completely forgotten what you were taught at the Little Palace." A familiar voice sounded. "Just your loyalty to Ravka."

"Oh saints." Eva muttered.

Jesper and wylan Kept walking but Eva stayed back, leaning against the door frame. Nina shot back. "Ravka or Kirigan? It didn't take him destroying a city for me to question my loyalty."

"So, now that we all know you two have history, what's the payment for this job?"

"Name your price." Tolya told them as he took a bite of the food he had ordered.

"Is that the Lantsov family crest?" Wylan asked from behind Nina. "You know it is because it's hideous."

"Ouch." Eva finally stepped out from the darkness of the hallway.