|25| darkhold

~•~

~•~

They had all have a little break since the explosion and the time they were to leave to continue work, so Eva had some time on her hands. In Eva's bag, she had a book from the Little Palace's library. A book of magic. The darkhold.

Sitting down she pulled it out and flipped through pages. One of them was how to do something called a dream walk. She did the routine and soon enough, she found Aleskander himself.

"Why drag us back to the past?" She asked.

"The past informs everything, my dear. It is the sound that will not heal."

"You're last is the reason for all ruin." Eva snapped back.

"Yours makes you think you finally found people who understood you. You think you've found a future. Away from me."

Evangeline sighed and looked down. "I have."

"No." Aleksander told her. "You will only grow more powerful. And the others will only grow old."

"You're just upset we didn't work out. You're envious of the guys whom I stay with. Jealous you're not them, hm?"

He scoffed. "'Jealous'. I do know what you feel, I've felt it before, yes, but-"

"I doubt that." Eva scoffed.

Her husband merely tilted his head. "Not the pining in your heart you've yet to outgrow. The loneliness. The growing understanding of your..." he thought I'd a word to fit. "Unique situation. The ache of it."

"I don't k is what you're talking about."

It will never fade, Evangeline. It will only grow worse. No matter how far or fast you run with your little crows. You will come to accept that it's you and me, along with the help of Alina. Our sons will grow to be strong and smart like us. They will help us-"

"You leave them alone! Keep them out of this..."

"You can't run forever."

"I can sure as all the Saints try."

Aleksander hummed. "Perhaps now you're getting an inkling of what it's like to be hunted. But you still have no idea what it means to make countless deaths, to have to Reuben's yourself after every rebirth, to lose every person you live to sickness, desperation, hate, and time."

The two stared at one another for a moment. Eva walked up to him slowly as she spoke, "is this how you justify your actions? Your loneliness? A wound that won't heal? You're the lonely one. Not I."

He stepped up too. "You've yet to see the full shape of things. My Evangeline... you live in a single moment. I live in a thousand."

Soon after that, she fell out of her dream walk and went back to normal.