30 - Seduction

(A/N: Zier's POV.)

"It's so nice to see you again, Duke Audovár, after such a long time." The king smiled and shook the duke's hand with merry pleasure. Zier followed the two figures with a diplomatic smile, taking a seat on the edge of the sofa next to his father.

The king turned his head to face Zier and grinned. "You've grown."

Zier laughed politely. "Yes, your majesty. I'm honored you remember me."

The king threw up his hands and chortled. "Of course I remember you! A prodigy, this one is." His creased eyes twinkled and his gray hair shined. Despite his age, he seemed to be as lively as he was in his twenties.

"I'm flattered, your majesty." Zier raised the brittle teacup in his hand and took a sip of the freshly brewed tea.

"No, no, I remember when you were just seven or eight. I found you in the palace garden reading a textbook on ancient mathematics and its applications in modern society."

The duke chuckled gleefully at the praise. "Your majesty, you're too kind. It is true my son is quite academic."

The king's expression turned slightly regretful as he continued. "However, when I brought my firstborn son over to show him, you had already left! It's a pity, really. Perhaps if you two had met earlier, you would have joined that Xenith boy and my prince for their lessons these days."

Zier's relaxed smile faltered, and he froze. "...your majesty, the prince and who?"

The king laughed heartily and answered, "Ah, the sheltered Young Master of the Xenith family. Remis Alchean Xenith. It seems my son has taken quite a shine to him. They're always together lately. Though, I suppose it is fitting, considering he will be the closest person to my son in the future."

Zier's hands tightened in his lap, and his smile faded. "The closest person, your majesty says?"

"Well, it seems that Madam Rosé is quite adamant on this new aide pairing of hers. Her family has been serving Vires for generations, and her eyes are good. However..." the king turned his head away awkwardly, "she does tend to have some strange tendencies at times. Hah, with her actions, I wouldn't be surprised if my foolish son ends up courting that young boy..."

Zier gnashed his teeth. The crown prince... courting Rem? His brows furrowed, and his gaze fell downward. Alone, together, all the time...

The king clapped his hands and turned his head to the dishes in front of him. "Ah, what am I saying, rambling to the duke's son about my son's silly attitude. Let's eat, let's eat!"

Zier waved off the subject with a forced smile. "No, please, Your Majesty, I find it fascinating to learn about the prince's life."

He leaned forward with his eyes gleaming. "Say, your majesty... could I possibly join the prince and Lord Remis for today's class?"

----

(A/N: Remis' POV.)

"You must know that just etiquette is not enough. One's impression of you additionally depends on your personality as well as the way they view you." Madam Rosé smiled and stepped forward. I shivered and withdrew further, moving closer to the tsundere to get away from the lurking presence the madam had.

She looked down at the prince with keen, mischievous eyes. "Seduction can bring anyone down, even a king." She whispered slyly.

I choked and twisted my head up with absolute shock.

"Young Lord, you will be seducing the prince."

Her words fell heavy and hit me in the head like a sack of bricks.