32 - Jealous Prince

(A/N: Lucius' POV.)

The madam stared at Lucius with a piercing gaze. She tapped the tip of her worn-out pen on the pages of her notebook. Lucius sat on the uncomfortable wooden chair with jealousy painted across his features, distracted. He didn't notice the fleeting smirk that grazed Madam Rosé's face.

"Prince, next year, you will continue to attend Alsar's classes." She stated. Lucius nodded slightly, still absentminded.

"So will Young Lord Xenith." She added.

"...that's right." Lucius concurred.

Madam Rosé waited for a few seconds, gazing at Lucius expectantly. He remained silent. She sighed and rubbed the bridge of her nose.

"I assume that Duke Audovár's son, the one who attended my class without prior permission, will also begin attending next year." She let out a slight chuckle. "The Young Lord already calls him Zier. And? What does he call you?"

The prince's gaze finally shot up and he focused on the poised madam. She grabbed the handle of the chair tightly and stared directly in the prince's eyes.

The prince's eyes remained blank, however, not understanding what the madam was implying. But then, his eyes lit up with understanding. So... that person, 'Zier', who he was talking about... was just a nickname for that meddling duke's son?

"...he just calls me prince." He uttered, his jaw clenched.

"The Young Lord is very close to that duke's son, significantly more friendly to him than to you, then." She stated calculatedly.

The prince felt a slight pang in his chest. His heart sank, and an unfamiliar, vexing sensation washed over him. He thought back to when Remis' attention shifted from him to that duke's son as soon as footsteps approached. Remis' eyes lit up with excitement and he immediately stood, reaching up to stroke that person's head naturally.

His gaze was soft and familiar, and his treatment towards that duke's son was intimate and natural. Did that mean Remis was already so close to him?

And what about me? The prince stared at a stray lock of hair dangling in front of him. How does he treat me?

He thought back to the previous class. Remis didn't allow me to call him a name like the duke's son did. His face turned sullen the more he thought about it.

The madam looked on with a sly face. She leaned forward with her elbows resting on her legs, her head cradled in her hands.

"Next year, Duke Audovár's son will have many more chances to engage with the Young Lord." She murmured, her gaze dropping to her notebook. "Do you wish for that to happen?"

The prince felt a lump in his throat. He swallowed and looked away. "I don't want that to happen."

He felt a burning, aching feeling in his gut. I want him to treat me like he treats that intruding duke's son. The possessive thought popped into his head without thinking.

He was startled with his own thoughts. Why do I care so much? He furrowed his brow, nibbling on the inside of his lip. What is it about that interfering duke's son that's so annoying? Why was he called Zier so familiarly, while I'm just 'prince'?

He frowned and rubbed his arm. What's happening to me?

"You know, Crown Prince..." The madam interrupted his thoughts. She took a sip of the tea in her hand. Her eyes gleamed with a devilish light. "You must understand the importance of exercising your authority in situations like this."

Setting the teacup down, she paused, fixing her gaze expectantly on Lucius. The prince remained silent, failing to understand what she was implying yet again.

She sighed and rubbed her temples. She felt exasperated in the face of the dense prince sitting in front of her.

"It would be quite simple for you, as royalty, to prevent Duke Audovár's son, Young Lord Theodore Audovár, from further entangling himself in Young Lord Remis's life at Alsar Academy."

The prince's eyes brightened, and an impatient feeling crawled up his spine. "How could I do that?"

The madam finally cracked a smile. "Leave it to me."

----

(A/N: Remis' POV.)

I sneezed and rubbed my nose sorely. Is someone talking about me?

I sighed, setting the book down on the old wooden floor. Zier said we would meet in the archives today, where is he? I rubbed my eyes. He's never late. I frowned and pushed myself up, making my way out of the secluded corner where I usually sat.

As I walked towards the entrance of the building, the two grand, ornate doors slowly swung open. I stifled a yawn. Finally, he's here. Stepping forward as the doors widened, I began, "Zier, you're la-"

I swallowed back my words and awkwardly stepped back when I saw a tuft of fluffy blond hair appear from behind the open doors. My half-closed eyes and goofy smile disappeared when I saw the slight frown on his face.

"I was forced to come here." The prince ambled forward, trying to hide his tomato-red ears. I watched on quizzically, wondering what he was on about.

Eventually, I simply nodded, agreeing with whatever he was saying. With dull eyes, I started to walk away, no longer interested in dealing with the tsundere prince. Maybe Zier won't come, after all. I'll head back to the palace soon, I guess-

A hand grabbed my arm strongly, stopping me from walking up the stairs. I turned my head and glanced back with a confused expression. The prince clutched my forearm with his head down, his face growing redder by the second.

"I-I came to replace him," he stammered. "My father forced me to, so I didn't have a choice." His voice sounded small.

I stilled and stopped resisting. I saw his ears perk up and sighed. Patting his slumped head twice, I felt the soft strands of his hair between my fingers. Then, I nodded. "Don't worry, then. Since you were forced to come, I can pretend you were with me if the King asks. Alright, I'm going now." I spoke in a gentle tone.

Sorry, tsundere, I'm going to take advantage of your personality to shake you off.

I slipped out of his hold and started to trudge up the stairs with a bored look. The prince panicked and grabbed my shoulder to hold me back.

I rubbed my temple and turned back. "Really, don't worry, I can-"

However, once my eyes fell upon the prince, they widened in shock.

What the-