18 - The Return Home

One year later...

I grasped the edge of the satin curtain nervously. Its seamless fabric was crumpled in my hand as I stared outside the rattling carriage door. Beside me, I could see Aileen's excited expression. She was practically bouncing up and down on the couch, making the rattling carriage more hectic. I sighed and grabbed her arm to stop her from shaking violently.

"What are you so excited about..." I grumbled. I fidgeted with the folded printed paper in my hands, watching her eyes gleam.

"You're finally going to debut!" She exclaimed.

I rubbed my eyes and slid farther down the cushion, revealing an apathetic expression. "Yeah, so?" A sudden jolt in the carriage made the paper in my hands jump away and fall onto the floor. I grunted and picked it back up. Aileen looked at the paper in my hands curiously before her attention was diverted back to the moving landscape outside.

"Well, haven't you always wanted to debut?" She asked. Her breath puffed onto the glass window and fogged it up. She giggled excitedly and added, "Plus, I'll finally get to see Raen again. She's still too young to apply to Alsar, so I haven't seen her for a year..."

"Ah, so it's not me you're excited about, it's your friend."

"Well, can't it be both?" She stuck her tongue out and winked.

"You little-" I lunged at her cheeky face and reached to grab her hair.

"Young Master, Young Miss. We've arrived." The coachmen stepped out and opened the door. His smoothly combed back brown hair was complemented by his black suit and white gloves. I could distinctly see his growing bald spot on the back of his head as he bowed.

I hurriedly placed myself back to an orderly position and coughed. "Ah, yes. We'll be out, then." I grabbed Aileen's hand and pulled her out of the carriage. Her small titters were ignored by me as I dragged her through the main garden.

Servants lined the edges of the tiled walkway, all bowing in unison. I looked around unbothered and continued the long trek to the main entrance. I had the passing thought of asking to renovate the front garden to make it less of a walk next time.

At the end of the walkway stood Eliad, decked in formal attire. His countenance seemed to be drenched in formality as he bowed. "Young Master. Young Miss. Welcome back. The countess calls for you, please make haste." Out of the corner of my eye, I saw his head peek up, his clear turquoise eyes gauging holes through my face.

I nodded briefly and scurried away, slightly uncomfortable with his prying stare. Aileen shook my hand off as soon as the grand doors slammed behind us.

"Were you shy~ hmm, Remi~? So scared to see your beloved butler again after that~?" She teased, poking my cheek playfully.

I slapped her nosy fingers away from me and humphed, walking at a faster pace. "...shut up, and let's just go."

I don't want to think of that day right now.

----

Two soul-sucking bear hugs enveloped me. I was lifted to the air and spun around with Aileen. Her loud squawks of laughter concealed my bored annoyance. "Remi, Aileen~ how have you been? Excelling in magic, I presume." Mother proudly smirked.

"Yes, Mother."

"...yes, Mother." I looked away and sighed.

Her beady stare flashed towards me. She seemed to notice my discontent. "Alright, well, it's been a long day. Go to your rooms and rest." She waved us off, dismissing us.

Father sniffled, whispering, "They really have grown so much..."

----

I arrived at my room after shaking off Aileen's continuous meddling inquiries. Shaking my head in exhaustion, I thought, Does she think I'm oblivious? She's become a true fujoshi, I'll have to avoid her abnormal behavior in the future.

I clutched the cold handle and swung the dark oak door open. The familiar smell of my bedroom flooded my senses as I breathed in ease. I'm home.

Stomping carelessly to the bed, I took in my surroundings. I flopped onto the open canopy bed, feeling the silky bedding pull me further and farther in like a vortex. I buried my head into the comfortable cotton-stuffed pillow, letting my muscles relax and my exhaustion slip away. The note I carefully held was placed on the nightstand beside me.

Half-awake, thoughts drifted lethargically through my mind. I don't want to see Eliad again... not after that... he's going to bathe me, Mother won't let me do it myself... ah, I know I said I wanted a debut before, but now, I have freedom in school... I don't want to be discovered by others... there are going to be a lot of people at the banquet tomorrow... I don't want to go... ah, that child, the one who stole my amulet before, I wonder what he's doing now... My eyelids drooped as my mind wandered. The sound of knocking jolted me awake.

"...who... who's it... come in..." I rubbed my tired eyes and sat up languidly. The door opened with a creak. Standing there, awkwardly, was Eliad.

His eyes darted here and there, not daring to meet mine. "Young Master, it's time I bathe you." His original monotone voice grew softer as he spoke.

I blushed slightly and looked away. "Oh. Is that so..." I fumbled around the covers and scampered into the adjoining bathroom.

"Okay, come in when you're ready..." I mumbled and closed the door quickly.

"Y-yes..."

The door opened and I stood to the side with my head down. I clutched my clothes timidly, my gaze pointing at nowhere. I didn't see Eliad's small Adam's apple bob up and down, his heated gaze fixed on my visage. "Y-Young Master, I will begin." He tentatively took a small step closer, shortening the distance between us. The steam from the pre-heated bathwater made me feel trapped by a languid atmosphere.

He took my collar and began undoing the small ivory buttons. The shirt slid down, falling to the floor. His moist and hot breath spilled over my exposed shoulders, making me quiver.

I felt my face grow hotter as his hands moved to my pants. His small ears were tinged bright red as he whispered, "please excuse me."

I covered my mouth and looked away, a thought dominating my mind, repeated over and over again. 'Ah, if only that didn't happen, this wouldn't be so awkward.'