36 - A Decision

I backed away, holding my hands up defensively from the two approaching men. "H-hold on..." I stuttered, smiling stiffly while stumbling and trying to catch myself.

"You should choose wisely, or else we'll choose for you, Young Lord~" the duchess chortled, opening her fan to cover her guileful smile.

I gulped and chuckled awkwardly in response. "D-Duchess, don't you think you're being a little unreasonable right now? After all, a-as a nobleman, I'm expected to preserve my purity until-"

"Oh, I had previously spoken to your mother. She says, and I quote, your success in socializing is all that matters." The duchess twirled a lock of hair around her finger. "This is a good bonding activity between you three. I'm sure your mother will be pleased."

I wanted to smack my forehead and curse my family. I knew that mother loved pushing me into situations, but isn't it just some sort of betrayal at this point? I slumped and cast my eyes up to try and push down the rippling feelings of indignity.

The prince was the first to react to the madam's encouraging words and grabbed my hand with a glint in his eyes.

He blushed and looked down, jumping towards me. "A-as my aide, I demand you choose me!" He said, clumsily leaving a kiss on the back of my hand.

Theodore gazed at the spot touched by the prince with irritation. I could imagine his tail angrily slapping against the floor. He stared at my wrist for a while until he finally grabbed my wrist and kissed my hand, as if to mark his territory.

The cool feeling on my hand was overshadowed by confusion and fazed feelings swarming in my mind. I stood, my eyes glazed over and my mouth pressed into a thin, straight line. The sensation on my hand made me feel especially strange, like something was squirming around in my body, making me feel restless and bewildered, but I disregarded it as my mind buzzed.

Invisible question marks hovered above my head. Why are they acting like they like me? I'm confused.

The original otome game plotline flashed through my head, as I tried to make sense of their increasingly strange and bizarre behaviors. First, it started with the sweets I gave the prince... and, that talk in the library that night with Zier, or I guess, Theodore... they slowly changed after those days, didn't they...

I watched their expressions carefully, unsure of what was going on. More and more confusion sprouted, and I began to grow more and more unsettled as time went on. It should be in their best interests for me to pick the other person. So why are they doing the opposite? Their behavior... isn't following the plotline like it was supposed to. They're supposed to be attached by the hip to Aileen, not me! I grinded my teeth.

I shook off Theodore's mouth on my hand and glared at him with a withering gaze. Screw you, converter! Just be a capture target like you're supposed to be!

Theodore recoiled from my accusing glare. "I-I'm cuter than that annoying prince!" he exclaimed, pointing at the prince. His puppy ears went into airplane mode, and I couldn't help but find it adorable. Subconsciously, I reached out to caress his head, and he purred in satisfaction, shooting the prince a triumphant smirk.

"M-Madam..." I felt my smile twitch and looked to the madam for help. She sat, without a concern for my well-being, her eyelids drooping, as she watched the commotion in front of her.

She responded by turning away ignorantly. "I, personally, think the prince is the better alternative." She let out a wide, toothy smile. "After all, it's important to foster a connection between an aide and his superior."

I gawked at her answer and paled. She's trying to kill me...

It was reaching the end of the selection period for the prince's aides. Since I was chosen as an aide, that meant I had missed the last three weeks of the school year to train with the prince. My precious school year, where none of the annoying capture targets would bother me, was taken away by that traitorous tsundere prince.