45 - Cupid's Arrow

Two weeks later...

Three carriages slowly approached the front gates of the mansion. I shot up and ran to Aileen's room, grabbing her arm and pulling her off her desk in excitement. "Sister, Sister!"

She placed down the dripping fountain pen and looked up to face me. Her dreary eyes revealed how long she had been working. I stared at the loose papers stacked on her work table and thought maybe it was a new trend amongst the main characters to be overworked. She followed my gaze and laughed despairingly when she saw it fixed on the paperwork.

"Count yourself lucky that you aren't the successor to this blasted countdom, hmm?" She summoned a ball of light in her hand and stared at the papers rather obsessively. Her eyes blazed as she held herself back from obliterating her work in vexation. I chuckled anxiously and carefully dragged her threatening hand away from the table, diverting her attention.

"Come, Sister. Our guests are here." I said, walking out of the room with my hand wrapped around her arm, but her feet stayed fully planted on the floor, her figure unwilling to move.

"I don't feel like it." She stated flatly.

I made a sorrowful expression, trying to curry some sympathy. "But they're here for you..." For you to seduce.

She laughed. "I didn't invite them. You should go greet them by yourself."

I groaned inwardly, but maintained the dejected expression with my eyes begging. "But... isn't it good for you to network? Look, I brought such influential heirs to you, they're sure to like you if you show your face! It'll be a waste if I go and nothing happens." I can't go by myself! You have to be there for them to fall for you!

Her mouth drew a small arc, and a devilish, unsettling glint appeared in her eye. I felt a chill run down my spine and felt an ominous feeling surface. She cackled quietly and patted me on the shoulder with a bemused air. "Hmm... maybe you're right. Actually, bring them to the parlor room for me. I want to talk to them about something."

She sauntered away as soon as she said the words. I tilted my head but was nevertheless happy with the fact that the capture targets would have a chance to talk to her. "Sure, of course." I smiled and nodded, scampering out the door with a committed glint in my eye. Sliding down the spiral stairs, I jumped towards the front door and plastered a smile on my face.

----

(A/N: 3rd person POV.)

The front doors swung open grandly. Remis stood at the end of the cool marble staircase, his fingers gripping the handrail until his knuckles turned white. Three figures marched in, all standing six feet apart, as if they were afraid of catching something from the other.

Cyrus was the first to approach. His expression donned his usual angelic beam. "It's been so long since I've been to your manor, but it really hasn't changed a bit. It's nice to know, isn't it?" He said. While he faced Remis, his words were pointed to Lucius and Theodore standing a few steps behind him. Their expressions turned ugly as soon as they heard his words. It was obvious he was showing his close history with him, which neither of them had.

They sent jealous glares at the smiling man, but he ignored them, his beam growing wider. "Since it's been so long, I bought you a gift." Cyrus chuckled, the small bag in his hand swinging casually around his hand. Remis stepped back, holding his hands up with an apprehensive expression. Cyrus' gaze turned dark as he watched his movements. "You'll wear it, right?"

Remis gulped and fixed his focus back on his mission. If he refused, there would be a scene. Anyway, the gift wouldn't be too grand, right? He'll just accept it, what's the worst that could happen?