49 - Aileen's Motives

Theodore should be at the gazebo by now. I thought, my fingers sliding through the bedsheets boredly. Eliad is probably getting Aileen by now, right? Everything must be going to plan. After all, Eliad doesn't fail. I nodded to myself, burying my face back into the comforting silk pillow.

"But... now I'm bored." My muffled voice sifted through the pillow. I sighed and turned over, looking at the canopy of the bed blankly. I lifted my palm, summoning a small flame and letting it dance around my fingers.

"I could practice magic... I guess..." I muttered, pressing my fingers down and tamping down the fire before sliding out of the covers. "But what's the point, when..." When no one can teach me anymore.

I had surpassed the fire mage that Mother brought over after a few years. When I asked her for a higher-grade teacher, she laughed boisterously and patted my head. She had said that the teacher she had summoned was actually her subordinate and one of the best in the country. She had cracked a satisfied smirk, saying that I really was her child, after all. After that, I asked her if she could teach me, but she said that she couldn't teach me anything, because she was an Ice Mage and didn't have the fire element.

My mood turned slightly sour. Why were people so stupid? I was fourteen years old when I asked Mother that question. Did that mean that a fourteen year old could so easily beat a fifty year old mage? I muttered a curse and threw a harmless fireball at the window in frustration. I was eighteen now and had improved exponentially. This meant that I had already mastered advanced magic spells which even high-tier mages struggled with.

The only thing left for me to do was to construct new spells, which was time-consuming and exhausting, or try to find an ancient tome with spells from centuries ago, which was extremely rare and hard to come by.

"Fuck, I'm so bored." I groaned. I didn't want to put in the effort for those things. Perhaps, I would... My eyes flitted across the room as I struggled to stop myself from going through with this impulsive thought. But, in the end, my boredom won.

"You know, it would be a good idea to see how the plan is coming. I'll just take a peek in through the foliage. They wouldn't even know."

----

Meanwhile, in the East Garden...

Theodore was led by a servant through a clearly cut cobblestone path, farther into the heart of the garden. That butler had suddenly knocked on the door and stated that he was required in the gazebo as the guest of the host.

Theodore gulped, his anticipation growing. Did Remis invite him for tea? He knew that he was never forgiven for his lie on his identity. But perhaps... he was ready to make reconciliations now. Theodore held his chest and moved closer to the central part of the garden. As they walked closer, he could see that the vegetation grew taller, giving the environment a feel of a private oasis.

Eventually, they reached the gazebo. The scenery was beautiful. Rose vines grew over the wired frame, letting frames of light in through the cracks in the vegetation. Two seats were placed in the middle of the large gazebo, with a tea table covered in delicacies separating them. Theodore sat down and the servant soon left after a few words, saying that the host would be there shortly.

A few minutes passed, and Theodore's heart grew more tense with nervousness. Was he supposed to dress better? He didn't expect he would be invited somewhere... so romantic. He pulled his collar, trying to calm his mind, but the longer he waited, the more excited and delusional his thoughts became. What will he look like, walking to the gazebo, his hair cast in a thin light through the rose bushes...

At last, he heard approaching footsteps. Theodore cleared his throat and smoothed down his soft hair. A figure, bearing a striking resemblance to Remis, emerged from the path. Theodore's eyes widened in surprise before a confusion overtook it. That's... not him?